All Topics / Help Needed! / NEW STARTER NEEDING ADVICE.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Real-NewbyReal-Newby
    Participant
    @tuff-et

Hi everyone,
                          I propably have one of those newby questions that everyone loves but hopefully there may be someone with some input anyways.
    I am 25 currently working full-time on a wage of around $37k pa (not enough) and have around $13k in savings and live in VIC. I have read Steve's book 0-130properties and the new release 0-260 properties. They are both really informative but I am still looking for a little more in the way of personalized advice.
    I dont have a house or any loans and i would like to start investing ASAP–be it residential or commercial, my main questions are,
    1. Should i wait until I have more in the way of a deposit for investments? (I know that more money is always a good way but is it possible)?
    2. Is it better as a general rule to buy residential or commercial– i know with commercial all the outgoings are paid by the tennant
    3. In regards to loans, has anyone had good dealings with 1 bank in regards to rates and flexibility?

Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Dan

Profile photo of 888Abundance888Abundance
    Participant
    @888abundance

Hi Dan

You probably have enough to buy now if you were looking to go out into regional Vic or NSW and start off with something modest such as a small 2 bedroom unit in a small complex where your risk is also spread with a body corporate of a few other owners.

However, a good starting point might be to think about a few other questions first:<
    -how long did it take you to save your $13K?  (For example saving $13K a year might indicate what sort of loan/property running costs you could afford to comfortably meet)
    -how much can you continue to save each week in a regular disciplined fashion?

The answer to these questions might indicate how committed and financially prepared you are to service a loan (in the worst case scenario) of no rent or vacancy for a period of time.  Without a diciplined savingshabit, it might be difficult to service any loan yet.<

There are several mortgage brokers on this forum who could probably help in terms of  the "which lender to go with" question.  I don't think that this is as relevant as the other questions I've posed.

I always think commercial would be something you might consider with more experience rather than as a first timer.  However, with your funds you might be able to afford some storage units as a commercial investment.

Best of luck

Profile photo of Real-NewbyReal-Newby
    Participant
    @tuff-et

Thanks for the reply Gary,
                                         the info you advised is pretty much exactly what I was after. Savings wise I have always been not to bad at saving, in 4 months I have managed to scrape togethere about 5-6k in that time whilst having to pay for a fair few major expenses. The only other issue that I will be facing is the fact that I will be moving back to Japan with my girfriend by the end of the year so this will limit the amount of time I can actually spend getting out and checking out houses at actions and what not. After buying an investment I will be getting an agent to manage the day to day but how much input does it require in a physical/face-to-face sense.
    This is probably a how long is a piece of string question but even just a general idea.

Thanks again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.