Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of dj_siekdj_siek
    @dj_siek

Hey All!

I was told by a family friend about form 208?

Something to do with if you have rent coming in and the rent is below the repayments you can claim a weekly refund into your account from the ATO.

Thast all i got… does anyone know about this at all?

thanks and regards,

Joel :)

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Yes, that is correct. The advantage of this strategy is it gives you extra cashflow now. If you pour that money straight back into your loan, or use it to minimse your personal debt, it will save you considerable interest on your loans over the future years.

Basically, you receive your tax return weekly instead of in one lump sum at the end of the year.

Your accountant can do it for you; they send a letter to your employer telling them to withold less tax than normal – to the value of your tax return divided into weekly repayments, or whenever you get paid. So, for example; if your tax return was to be $5,200 for this upcoming year, you receive an extra $100 in your pay packet each week if you get paid weekly.

There are 2 problems with this strategy;
    1. most people are tempted to spend the extra $100 on c.r.a.p. If you receive your tax return in one lump sum, you are less likely to blow it on junk, but re-invest it back into your I.P loan or pay down personal debt (I hope).
    2. the actual tax return may not be totally accurate, which means that you will need to revise it in next year's return. It could mean you owe the A.T.O more tax next year, or you may be owed more. It is not a major concern, but it can get a little messy. This is probably why most accountants are reluctant to do it and will try to talk you out of it.

If you could do with the extra cashflow to help with a neg geared property, and your tax return looks as though it will be a significant amount, I would recommend arranging the "variation" with your accountant.

Profile photo of dj_siekdj_siek
    @dj_siek

Marc,

Your brilliant thanks so much for that.  i had no idea you could do that at all!

Thanks and Regards,

Joel

@l.a-aussie

No worries.
    Here to help, tell bad jokes and generally annoy people – not in any particular order.

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Here to help, tell bad jokes and generally annoy people – not in any particular order.

Hilarious Marc! I love it…am going to use that as my new motto in life!

@l.a-aussie

So does that mean my jokes are getting better?

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Hi Joel,

Yes you certainly can vary the amount of tax witheld from your salary by your employer, and its called a Income Tax Withholding Variation (ITWV)  The only issue is you're a bit late for this year but 2008 forms should be available off the ATO website by mid May 2007.
    As Marc has stated you won't be paying any less tax, rather its just spread over the year instead of getting a big lump sum tax refund.  Be careful and don't overvary as penalties will apply if you receive a debit assessment of $500 or more.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.