All Topics / Help Needed! / Should I pay for pest control treatment?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of francislfrancisl
    @francisl

Dear expert investors,

I have an investment property. The tenant has recently requests a pest control treatment on spiders.

I was informed by the property manager that the problem is likely linked to the drought instead of any hygiene problem. I was also confirmed that owner is not legally required to provide this treatment. The treatment could cost me about $250 and it lasts for 12 months.

As Steve suggested in his book, good tenants should be rewarded. So, should I provide this treatment on the following basis:
    1. the tenant has been paying rents in punctual.
    2. the tenant has been keeping the property tidy.
    3. the tenant may leave, but would agree to a 6 months lease if treatment provided.

All thoughts are welcomed. Thank you.

Regards,
    Francis

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

You do not have to pay for pest control on spiders etc.
    Also, it is a waste of money; they come back after a few months (even weeks).
    It sounds like the tenant is not on a periodic lease? When was the last rent increase? Could be a good time to incorporate all 3 things; treatment, rent increase and periodic lease.
    Don't feel obligated to do it just because they are puctual payers and keep the place tidy – they are SUPPOSED to do that as part of their tenancy agreement and you kick them out if they don't comply.
    At least it is tax deductible if you go ahead.

Your call.

Profile photo of francislfrancisl
    @francisl

Dear Marc,

Thank you for your advice.

The last rental review was in Dec 2006 and rent has been raised by $5 to match the market.  The tenant is currently on a month by month basis after the last lease expired.  I am unsure whether I can increase rent again at this stage.

Regards,
    Francis

Tara30
    Participant
    @tara30

Hi Francis & Everyone

I know this is a really old post but I have just been asked by the Tenants in my IP for Pest Control Spraying. The Property was last sprayed 15 months ago. The Tenants have a six month Lease left that will not be renewed.

Francis what did you decide to do?

Do other Landlords spray for Spiders every year?

Regards
    Tara

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

Tara30
                 I have sprayed or paid for spraying, but I have a new tactic. If the tenant is happy for the following.

For houses that are close I buy a $20 spray kit ( 2 litres for outside ) it last for at least few months and one bottle will do twice, so I leave the container for the tenant to use next time.
    Or for ones I cannot reach, I get the agent to advise them to buy some and spray themselves and pay for spray.

I know you will now get people complaining about OH&S etc, but if they do not follow instructions then they can sue the makers of the product. Its available at all stores.
    Or sue the store.

Tara30
    Participant
    @tara30

Thats a great idea. THX

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.