All Topics / Value Adding / Value adding to Townhouse/Unit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of indionlineindionline
    @indionline

Hello,

This is my first post on the website. I bought my first property in Dec last year (townhouse in Runcorn, Qld). Its a 3 bedroom place about 10 years old. Its in decent condition and I would like to add some equity to it by doing a few renovations myself so I can borrow againt it for other properties. As you can imagine, due to body corporate restrictions, there’s only certain things that can be done.

I have 3 things in mind and your suggestions would be more than welcome!

1) Carpet hasn’t been replaced since the townhouse was first built so its quite old and worn out. I would either like to replace it with floor boards or new carpet. Which is a better and cheaper option?

2) Inside paint is really old and there are a few chips on the walls. Repainting the house is an option. Any colours that might make the difference?

3) Backyard is decent size and nothing has been done to it. Would making the backyard look nicer by adding few pretty plants, swing, etc will add value?

Any recommendations on this and ways of convincing body corporate would be highly appreciated.

Look forward to your replies. Thanks

Varun

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

The body corporate really only controls all the ‘common areas’ of the complex such as driveways, bin area, front of unit gardens and of course the exterior of the buildings.
    There should be a map of the areas it controls somewhere in the body corp minutes – ring the body corp manager and ask for a copy.

As for interior and back yard – should be all yours to do what you like, other than change the building structure. But you can do things like remove interior walls (if they are not load bearing) or add them.

Depending on size of unit, carpet might be a couple of grand, don’t know about cost of floorboards. measure the floor areas and ring a few joints for some rough quotes. If you hire them they will remeasure themselves.

Painting can be done by you if you have the time and motivation, for a few hundred dollars worth of paint and equipment. If it’s staying as a rental go with neutral colors and low sheen finish. Use high gloss enamel on door frames and windows. We go for earth tones on walls (very light) and white for door frames and windows, white wooden venetian blinds (Bunnings or Ikea). Looks fantastic. Sugar soap the walls, then fill all the holes, then sand. One coat undercoat, two top coats. Great fun!

One last tip; tile all the wet areas – do it yourself; easy but takes time, and costs a few hundred.

Backyard – lots of paving for low maintenance, drought resistant plants/trees. No swings – public liability.

One more last tip; get Landlord’s insurance and have a Depreciation Schedule done for Tax purposes.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

When the outside of building is due for painting make sure you have some input into having complex painted in modern colours. It’s amazing how a different colour scheme can lift and modernise it. Have a look at paint brochures, new building in trendy area’s, and magazines for ideas. Marc has some excellent points. I used to own a unit in Greenslopes and after I recarpeted I regreted not doing timber floors. I’m sure it would cost more but put unit in different league. Maybe even be worth putting wood in lounge/dining area and carpet bedrooms. I’m just chosing colours at the moment and considering Bristol – Mother of pearl; Taubmans – Silverwater; Wattle – Featherwhite. Regards, Linda

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Hi Millions,
    I saw a colour in a house we visited here not long ago – ‘siszal’ or sisal or sizal or seisel by Ralph Lauren.

Sort of a very light seaweed/green/brown colour. Looked fantastic and goes with nearly everything. Check it out.

The house was generally floorboards with white windows, wooden shutters and this lovely colour.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of salsachinitasalsachinita
    @salsachinita

For colours, we like Dulux Chalk USA (highly recommended by all interior designers we talked to) on walls & white on ceilings/cornice.

You don’t have to use tha actual Dulux brand….any brand will mix colours to match. We used Washable Velvet by Wattle. It was recommended by a painter friend.

All doors, frames & skirting were done in Satin Enamel (oil based). They can be techinically challenged, so we had some professional help at the end. We used the same colour as the wall but 3 shades darker, as the more reflective the paint, the lighter it seems.

I would vote for floorboards over carpet, eventhough the cost might be higer. The ‘carpet in bedroom’ idea is a good compromise.

I would also stay away from ‘laminated’ floorborads. They look good new, but don’t wear well at all…!! It’s ok if you’re just doing the “reno & quick sell” strategy….. but NOT if you plan to rent the property out. It will look tired & worn within the stay of your first tenant.

BodyCorp are a pain sometimes….. we are on committee, trying to get some old asbestos boards & doors removed & render the building to modernise it. Still fighting [grrr]………

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Great colour suggestions! I desperately need to get rid of some large 60’s style orange flowered wall paper in the main bedroom of rental. The burnt orange built-ins are quite sickly too. [wacko][sick3]

Profile photo of indionlineindionline
    @indionline

Guys,

Thank you for all your suggestions [exhappy]. I am overwhelmed with the responses. This is only going to encourage me to use the forums more and increase my knowledge.

Its going to cost me about 2k to replace the carpet downstairs. I’ll have to ring around for quotes on wooden floorboards.

Appreciate all the replies. Thanks once again.

Cheers

Varun

Profile photo of browny76browny76
    Participant
    @browny76

Gday, another suggestion for flooring although is dusty dirty work, rip up the old carpet & hire a floor sander for a day! Provided its not Concrete! Any number of assorted Varnish & Laquers out there! A 6 Pack, BBQ Pack included reckon you ought get away with it under $1000. As for backyards if you take your rates notice into the Council you may find they have native Shrubs & Plants to give to landowners under a Greening Australia program or alike. if not Landcare have cheap or free Natives also. Become a Member of the Body Corp. work both sides of the fence!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.