All Topics / Finance / Claiming interest on PPoR turned IP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of dcoffeydcoffey
    Participant
    @dcoffey

We have a LOC on our PPoR & have used available funds to renovate. We have also used the LOC to receive my income and then pay bills etc directly via BPAY. We are building a 2nd house on our property with a view to subdivide, move into the new house and rent the “old”. The construction loan will cover 100% of the building costs (hopefully) as they will amount to less than 80% of the final prop value. My questions are twofold:
    1. How do I untangle what portion of the interest I can claim on the existing LOC once we start renting the “old” house?
    2. How should I structure accounts to receive rental from the “old” property once it becomes our IP? Should one pay directly to the loan acc? Should one only make payments to the IP loan to exactly match the interest (interest only loan)?
    Sorry, that’s a few questions all in one go.

David

David Coffey

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi David

Mhhhh you may have a problem and one of the reasons why am not the # 1 of LOC on your PPOR.

What i would be doing is switching the LOC to an interest only loan so that when it becomes your IP the interest can be claimed.
    Attach an offset account to the loan whilst construction is taking place you can always switch it when the building is complete.

I would need actual numbers to advise you further when it comes to your outstanding balance on your current PPOR to see if there is any way you can shift the burden of debt onto this property rather than you new PPOR.

Note doubt you are aware of the CGT implications when you subdivide your current PPOR.

All is not lost but numbers would help.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    New Shared Equity scheme has arrived – Email us for details.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of dcoffeydcoffey
    Participant
    @dcoffey

Thanks Richard,

Here is some more detail;
    Existing loan on PPoR is interest only Westpac Equity Access loan with max $265K and sitting near that level. Once the PPoR becomes an IP, can I claim interest on the full balance from the time it becomes an IP regardless of how that balance was achieved up to that point. If not how can one determine which portion of the balance has claimable interest given our use of the loan as a transaction acc.?
    Construction loan will be a separate, interest only loan (Westpac again) approved up to $250K.
    I’m aware that once the PPoR becomes an IP then CGT comes into play from that date. Are there any other CGT implications? We plan to live in the new house for at least a year.
    With an offset acc. against an IP interest only loan, is the idea that all rental payments plus extra (to cover interest or for rates/maintenance etc) are paid into the offset and then only the exact interest amount transferred onto the loan?

Sorry, so many questions. This is my first foray into all this and just when you think you have a handle on things………..

Cheers,

David Coffey

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi David

You would be better of requesting Westpac switch the loan to an interest only loan and trying to claim the interest on the balance.

Attach a 100% offset account to the loan to funnel your income into to save you interest whilst the house is being constructed. Then switch this to the new ppor when complete.

As long as the loans are not cross collaralised you wont have too much of a problem. Just watch WPac they love to X C loans along with the BIG C. Makes you wonder whether the local Branch Manager gets paid on XC commission.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]

Participant
    @dcoffey

So if I set up an offset loan like this, I’m assuming that I still need make transfers onto the loan to cover interest? If so I’m assuming that I just need to make sure I at least cover the interest amount, or can the interest be charged directly to the offset acc?

Also, I’m pretty sure the ‘Equity Access’ loan we have at present is interest only. There are no required repyments, only the approved limit that we cannot exceed.

When you say “try to claim interest on the balance”, is this a matter of having a sort of ‘clean slate’ once the PPoR becomes an IP. If this is the case, and I say this only int the interest of understanding the situation, would it not be technically advantageous to run this laon up to the max limit (which it pretty much is anyway) before it changes to an IP thus maximizing claimable interest? I reiterate that I ask this question only to gain a clearer understanding of the technicalities of the situation.

Lastly, how to best ensure the existing and new construction loan are not Xcollateralized? I’m pretty sure theyre not given that the Equity Access loan we have now leaves virtually no usable equity anyway.

Thanks for all your help. You guys are very generous with your time and it is much appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi David

Yes you would have the monthly interest payments debited from your 100% offset account it is just you dont want the capital being repaid as this will be your IP in the future.

Equity Access with WPac is an interest only facility. Just be careful about not making any repayments as you are unable to claim capitalised interest as a deduction and thats when it gets messy.

Just ask the Bank if the loans are Xcrossed. If is likely they will be until the block is subdivided and has separate title.

Then you want them separate.

Happy to answer as many questions as you like.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]

Participant
    @dcoffey

Thanks Richard,

The Equity Access loan refinanced our initial P&I loan (with another lender) based on a revised PPoR valuation. We have since taken this loan up to it’s limit by using the available funds for renovations plus other personal expenses including bills etc.

I’m still not sure where this leaves us in terms of claiming interest once this prop. becomes an IP given that some of the loan total comes from personal stuff not related to the property. Does it not matter as it was spent before the property became an IP?

Cheers,

David Coffey

Participant
    @qlds007

David

Switch it to an interest only, keep all statements from there onwards and look upwards and prey.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]

Profile photo of parksie34parksie34
    @parksie34

I would suggest you talk to your accountant. You will probably find that some of the interest on your old LOC will not be deductible because of what you have used it for. Just turning your PPoR into an IP won’t make the interest deductible.

Participant
    @dcoffey

Thanks Richard,

You’ve mentioned a few times to switch to an interest only loan. Now, given that the Equity Access loan we have currently is already interest only, are you suggesting a different type of interest only loan? I’m guessing that perhaps you mean a loan that is still interest only but does not offer the flexibility of a transctional acc like the E.Access does?

Cheers,

David Coffey

Profile photo of daciumdacium
    @dacium

Are you saying the bank will give him an interest only loan with an offset account?

Participant
    @qlds007

Are you saying the bank will give him an interest only loan with an offset account? = YES

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.