All Topics / Help Needed! / Developments

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of krautcankrautcan
    @krautcan

Does anybody know where i should start looking to find ‘rule of thumb’ costs for develpments. Costs like roads, power, water and subdivision?

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

Seeing as no-one with more experience has replied I will throw in my advice as a builder with some smaller scale experience.
    For roads (in most regional areas) we speak to the local council, they usually provide this service (as they assume the responsibility after the development is taken over in the case of a subdivision). You could speak to them and ask them what they need in order for you to obtain an estimate or quote. For power then your local Power supplier like POWERCOR who will be able to assess the available infrastructure in the area you are developing and let you know what information they would need in order to provide you with an estimate or quote (and timeframe) for the job. This will be the same for water, you will have to chase up your local water supplier with some information for them on what you have planned, and ask them what they need in order to supply a quote for the water services you need installed. Lasty the subdivision, if you pop into a building inspector he will refer you to a town planner who can give you an idea of if and how much. I would think that ‘rule of thumb’ costs for all subdivisions is a little too risky. Once you have plans you can always put out the infrastructure work to tender if you are in a suitable area. Your town planner will be able to give you more detailed advice.

Julie Fisher
    Daryl Fisher Homes.

Profile photo of gus1970gus1970
    @gus1970

We are going through one at the moment near Newcastle (LMCC). Our estimated costs were provided to us by our surveyor who has been involved in adjacent subdivisions. A ball park figure provided to us was about $70k / block (based on 8 lots).

Council contributions $20k / block
    Construction (roads, services etc) $40k / block
    Surveying, flora, fauna, archeological, landscape architect, bushfire etc etc $10k / block

This is my first attempt and it is still in progress so these are by no means final figures. Ours is a tricky site from an environmental perspective.

I imagine each site will be different, council contributions and construction costs will differ dependant on the complexity and size of the subdivision. But like I said this is my first one…………novice!!!

Profile photo of krautcankrautcan
    @krautcan

Thanks guys, we are thinking about a small gated development of about 10 lots of 2 bedroom villas with plenty of trees, a pool/spa, bbqs, shaded and grassed areas, perhaps a tennis court, Broadband and Pay TV ready and a secluded resort feel aimed at older working couples who do not need the pubs & nightclubs but rather a more relaxed lifestyle.
    What do forum contributors think about such a development?

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

Hi Krautcan
    We have just put on hold some land to build one or two homes for that age bracket also (in Mildura). I wanted to build something very low maintainance but I also have noticed that many retirees these days (for all you early retiring property tycoons I mean elderly retirees) like to travel and often have their own caravans etc. I asked a friend of mine (REA) if provision for storage (additional room in garage or a shed) for something like this is in high demand and he said “absolutely”. He mentioned that he was currently trying to sell villa’s in a gated community with many features similar to what you have described except room to store a boat and motor or caravan so the interest wasn’t there. His price for these units had to stay 20k or so below the competition to attract any sort of attention. I suppose what I am saying is make sure you do your research on your target buyers so you know what they would like in a potential property. Good Luck with your development.[exhappy]
    Julie Fisher
    daryl fisher homes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.