All Topics / Finance / how much can i borrow?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

hi i’m thinking about getting a second ip with my mum but don’t know if i can borrow enough…here’s my situation:

after tax
    job income: $4500/m
    rent from first IP: $950/m
    mortgage: $2700/m
    expenses: $500/m
    First IP borrowed $380k, $370k to go…
    IP haven’t increase in value over pass 2 years.
    Owns 2 cars, worth $60k
    Shares $10k
    Not much savings in cash…about $3000…

Mum’s situation…
    Owns home worth about $850k
    Have $100k cash
    2 IPs, total worth about $700k
    mortgage about $200k on IPs
    works part time, income about $600/week
    don’t know about her renting income or repayments…

I don’t pay rent, don’t own my home, my company pays rent, so i’m thinking i’ll buy a place with mum and the company can pay rent for this property…we’re looking at a $410k house, i can gurantee $450/w rent . I worked out a loan over 30 years between me and mum we only need $300/month to service the loan. But the plan is mum will retire in 3 years, but i can still service the loan by myself…i just need her for the borrowing power…mum will put in $100k for deposit, so we need to borrow $320k…mum’s pretty certain she can borrow $110k, but will the banks lend me $200k since i’m still $370k in debt?

As usual thanks for any adivce… If any mortgage broker can help us please pm me, i’m in QLD…

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Picklesam (love the name by the way) have PMed you.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

I’m sure Richard will sort you out on the details, but my 2c worth –

A good starting point would be to get rid of the two cars worth(?) $60k if you can – are there existing loans on them? Cars are not assets – they are liabilities, or ‘doodads’. Buy one decent sec/hand one for about $10k and put any remaining cash from the sales into the loan/s.

This is money down the drain sitting in 2 very expensive and very depreciable (but not claimable) ‘doodads’ that cost a lot to maintain. Even if your company pays for them (I’m just guessing on that), you still have to find the money for the lease/h.p payments every month; it’s just another cash draining, needless expense – stopping you from buying more assets.

Unfortunately, a lot of banks view cars and furniture and clothes etc as assets which is distorting your true net worth. I don’t know why they do that. An asset puts money in your pocket, a liability takes it from your pocket.

The reality is that all that stuff is useless and will hold back your investment potential – even if the bank thinks it is o.k.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

hi marc, yeah richard’s sorting me out aright! Selling the cars is not an option for me, i’m nuts about my cars, it’s the only ‘hobby’ i have really, i don’t go on holidays for example…they dont cost much to run, one’s in storage at mum’s house…and no debt on them…i worked out if i can manage to get another ip with mum i’ll still have about $1800/month i can save, should i be putting this $$$ into my first ip becasue it’s giving me crappy yield? It’s a $410k house returning $950/month…just to save me heaps of interest and to get enough equity so i can get a loan to buy my own home?

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by picklesam:

hi marc, yeah richard’s sorting me out aright! Selling the cars is not an option for me, i’m nuts about my cars, it’s the only ‘hobby’ i have really, i don’t go on holidays for example…they dont cost much to run, one’s in storage at mum’s house…and no debt on them…i worked out if i can manage to get another ip with mum i’ll still have about $1800/month i can save, should i be putting this $$$ into my first ip becasue it’s giving me crappy yield? It’s a $410k house returning $950/month…just to save me heaps of interest and to get enough equity so i can get a loan to buy my own home?

If you have no other personal debt then that’s what I would be doing – putting the savings into the I.P loan to reduce debt, improve your return/cashflow/equity.

There are others who might say put the spare cash into another high yield investment; say, a mutual fund or other shares, and leave the investment loan untouched as all the interest is tax deductible. It is swings and round-abouts I think.

The only problem that I can see with the path you are choosing is you are going to be borrowing from the I.P equity to help fund a loan on a PPoR. The interest and holding costs on the PPoR will not be tax deductible. Ideally it would be better to be borrowing from your PPoR equity to fund an I.P, then the interest is tax deductible.

Or, better still; use the equity from the I.P you buy with your mum to fund another I.P in the future, and you continue to live at home or rent a place yourself. This may be financially smarter than buying and living in your own house, but not a lot of people do it as they are very emotionally attached to their PPoR, or can’t get past the idea of buying and living in their own home.

We have done it; our PPoR is another I.P for us now, and have no problem now (mentally) with renting a nice house in an area we like while pouring funds into investing.

Talk to Richard about these scenarios (he’s probably reading this post as you are!)

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Pete

I know we are sorting out the next IP but don’t rush to start paying principal off your first one especially if you intend to purchase an PPOR down the track.

Set up a 100% offset account with your current lender linked to the first IP and that way you will pay less interest (effectively the Gross rate will be around 12.50% -not bad eh) but also be able to utilise the amount saved as deposit when it comes to the PPOR.

If you pay it of the loan when you re-draw or borrow against the equity the interest will not be tax deductible.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

i see…thanks guys..yeah marc’s right about people getting attached to a PPOR, i guess i’d feel more ‘secure’ having no debt on one property instead of having 3, 4 IPs and be massively in debt…so does a MISA account effectively have the same effect of making extra repayments? I was offered to setup one but declined because i didnt earn as much back then and never have any cash after repayments…

Profile photo of HookhamCHookhamC
    @hookhamc

Hmmmm,,, careful !!
    Think long and hard over all advise.

Best of luck! [cigar]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.