All Topics / General Property / Melbourne Zoning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Mal111Mal111
    @mal111

I have a question about how Melbourne zoning works. How can you find out ( apart from calling the council everytime for every property) how small a block you can sub-divide?
    For instances, Mount Eliza and Frankston are both zoned R1Z but in Mount Eliza the smalestl block size allowed is 1300m2 (so would need 2600m2 to sub divide, so the Mornington Concil told me) yet in Frankston (some parts) blocks are being sub divided to as small as 300m2.

[blink]

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Mal,

There is no minimum size, there are other conditions you have to meet that makes it difficult to subdivide below a certain size, but at the end of the day what you can do with a block largely comes down to the skill of your designer.

Much of Mt Eliza has a Design and Development Overlay which, as you stated, restricts blocks being subdivided to les than 1,300sqm, however the part of this policy that you have missed out on is that this minimum is the minimum “without a full development plan” ie if you have a 1,000 sqm block you could apply for a permit to put two houses on it. If you were successful you could then subdivide the land.

If you are interested in developing I strongly suggest you get yourself an architect or draftsperson and a consultant town planner.

Regards
    Alistair

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.