All Topics / Help Needed! / Regional areas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of woodowoodo
    @woodo

As a new investor I have been keen to see if there are still any +ve cashflow properties left in regional Australia.
    It seems they can still exist via looking on realestate.com.au but the hard thing to decide is whether you will be able to keep the tenants or get a tenant. I have found various properties with pricesof $49,000 to $85,000 and rents from $85 – $150. Some have tenants, others do not. What size town should you consider, are mining towns still relevant or am I just hoping and will I do my cash. Is anyone still buying in these areas?
    I am at the point of having read Steve’s books and would like to take action but still do not want to get burnt. Steve says that I need to action the process.

Any comments.
    Woodo[strum]

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

You do need to pull the trigger and it is scary the first time, but you can take steps to protect yourself.

+cashflow properties are harder to find since the recent boom. The rents haven’t caught up to the cap growth in many areas. But there are still some around; the problem is that in the present climate a lot of these will be ‘add value’ deals to increase the rent enough.
    As to where you should look and what type of property you should buy, the criteria that you use can be endless, but basically; the smaller the town and the cheaper the properties are, the better the rent returns usually are. However, the problem is you may struggle to get a tenant, and a good tenant at that.
    You can find out a lot of info on the state of the rental market in a particular area buy ringing the agents and asking the right questions.
    For eg; you see a 3 x 2 house for sale with a tenant already in place. Find out what is the rent the tenant is paying for a start. If the return is good enough to satisfy you, then proceed to next step.
    1. Ring an opposition r/e company and ask if they have any 3 x 2 houses for rent and how much the rent is. If they have a lot available, it could mean there is not a lot of demand for that type of property – maybe 2 x 1 units are more in demand.
    2. Ask whow many rental properties they manage and how many are vacant. A vacancy rate of less than about 3% is a good sign.
    3. Ring the agency that has the 3 x 2 for sale and ask them about a 2 x 1 unit for rent. if they say there are very few available, it could mean there is good demand for these, or maybe there is an under-supply in the area.
    4. Ask how many properties they manage and the vacancy rate.

This is just one small example of the research you must do to maximise the safety of your investment.

There is one school of thought that says you shouldn’t buy in a town smaller than 10,000 people. This is probably true in general. My mother lives in a town of 7,000 people and it is a good town, but the returns aren’t that good (5-6%) and the cap growth isn’t too flash historically and isn’t likely to change. So you wouldn’t do very well either for cashflow or cap growth in that town.
    However, 45 mins drive away is another town – 9,000 people, and it is booming at the moment; cap growth is great if you bought 2 years ago, and still some more to come.
    Anyone who researched the town would have found out that it was about to boom – improved access to Melb, council programmes to improve amenities etc. The indicators were there.

There are many good books available to help you get the knowledge to start with safety, here are a few authors;
    Margaret Lomas, Jan Somers, Noel Whittaker, Monique Wakelin, Michael Yardney, Steve McNight, Peter Spann, Ben Venuti, Neil Jenman, Terry Ryder.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of montymonty
    @monty

Hi
    I invest in a small country town and have done pretty well over the last 3-4 years. A few things that I do
    – have someone in the town you know – for me it is my mother
    – look at emplyment rates. there are country towns that are booming ( yes mining as well) and there are towns that are going backwards big time.
    – check occupancy rates. if unsure contact an agent and see what rental properties are available. Some have plenty others have none. What does this tell you ?
    – know the local economy – eg major employers
    – read local papers
    – visit the towns you have identified and talk to the locals !
    -etc

As prices have increased ( and they do in country towns as well !) same % rise, but usually 6-12 months later than the cities, take a note of land prices. It could be ( as in my case ) that land prices have remained low in comparisson to increased house prices. I am in the process of having a transportable home built ( 3 bedroom steel frame for $75 000 & 25 000 for land ( which I am subdividing). Will rent for $150 / week. look at corner blocks as some councils will allow subdivision.
    I am not quite so worried about +vely geard properties at the moment. i am hoping to increase my portfolio over the next 2-3 years in readiness for the next round of capital gain.
    All the best

Profile photo of kpikpi
    @kpi

Hi there,

I also have bought a couple of properties in rural areas. Buy price was $54K and rent is $100 per week (cheap rent for the area). It has potential to do up and achieve a higher rent which I will do upon expiry of the lease. The town has approx 4,000 population and extremely low vacancy rates which is why I purchased in a town with such a low population. Again, as mentioned many many times, positive cashflow deals are made, not bought! But there are some exceptions. Good luck and do your due diligence thoroughly.

Profile photo of gtphysiogtphysio
    @gtphysio

Hi,
    everyone <edited>s their pants the first time. The worst you can lose is 25% and often time corrects all errors. You could lose lots more on the sharemarket.
    Research, research is the go. Mining towns are viable provided that they don’t do the boom, bust cycle. Usually this is related to one type of ore produce only such as coal. Moranbah in QLD struggled badly after the last mining collapse but Kalgoorlie didn’t. Good rent returns there on units.
    Zeehan and Rosebery in Tassie are taking off but Queenstown just half an hour away has gone backwards by 20% I think this is good. Prices are down av house is 55 to 65k rents are 100 to 120 a week. 3 new mines are starting up in the vicinity and the effect is already happening in Zeehan now. This is willprobably spin off to Rosebery next and Queenstown last.
    Definitely worth a look but go down there.
    Good luck. First one is the hardest.[cap]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.