All Topics / Help Needed! / Have I made a mistake?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of meatgroupmeatgroup
    @meatgroup

Hi There,

About a month ago we settled on our first investment – a 750m block of land 100m from the water in an area i believe will boom soon. We scored it for a paltry $92,000. We have now relocated to Brisbane and are searching for what will initially be our PPOR (only for the FHOG) before we will likely move out of it (turning it to IP) and go back to renting while we source our second IP property…..

Now my question is – have I made a monumental error in buying a piece of land in that it does not “earn an income” and “eats servicability” or is it worth holding this block (I do not intend to build on it anytime soon) and see what capital gains there might be. The block next door sold for $107,000 and the one on the other side most recently sold for $130,000.

Is the captial gain worth it – or should I just flick it off for a small profit and invest the funds in something that returns an income of sorts ?

Confused ….. [blink]

Cheers
    Ryan

Profile photo of Kipper57Kipper57
    @kipper57

it sounds very cheap for water front where is it? I guess if you see large capital gain comming and do not need the rent for servicing ability on your other projects then you seem to have done ok.

On the other hand if you are going to need the cash flow then maybe you have taken the wrong path. Could you not build on it and rent it? have you spoken with the local agents to see if this is feasable this would give you an option to capitalise on both if a possibility

Wayne
    Mortgage Adviser
    Email [email protected]
    http://www.alphamortgagesolutions.com.au
    Refinace, Loan Consolidation, Owner Occupied or Investment Finance. Free Service we come to you!

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

Why not build something and either rent or sell it?

I personally would not like to have a non income producing asset on my portfolio unless I was very, very, very convinced I would get CG in a reasonable short time frame.

You did not mention where the block is, but apart from Perth the market seems to be fairly flat.

Good luck

Profile photo of meatgroupmeatgroup
    @meatgroup

The block is located in a little enclave north of Townsville called Forrest Beach. It is not a “beach front” block but one about 100m from the water.

I bought here because Townsville is now, in my opinion, overpriced. Land in prime positions there is a big price. Just north of Townsville in Bushland Beach land is now priced around $300k for a piece of earth with a view. Further north of here is a place called Balgal Beach – it too is now priced around $300K for beach side blocks. This is why Forrest Beach appealed – the pricing trend is stretching north through beachfront villages. It also appeals because up in that part of the world low tide can mean your nice white beachfront turns into about one kilmetre of mud as the tide recedes. This is not the case at Forest – it has a deeper beachfront and remains a normal white beach regardless of tide. It is not cut off from Ingham in time of flood and tide like smaller villages to the north….

For these reasons I thought it would be a sound purchase.

Cashflow isn’t really an issue yet but given that our PPOR will likely cost about $360-$400K I just dont want to be caught short. Income is $120K …..

Just a question in respect of if I sell the property. It is in both mine and my wife’s name… Can I structure it in such a way as to have the CGT deducted at my wife’s tax rate or is it a 50/50 split ?? My wife earns significantly less that I do and enjoys a much lower tax rate.

Thanks for all your help people – I have a million questions !!!

Profile photo of MITMIT
    Participant
    @millionaire-in-training

Hi Meatgroup
    Have you made the wrong decision? Not sure, I guess that depends on how you look at it.

Have a look at my other post on the subject of where to find positive cashflow deals, and in particular the bit at the bottom about the questions we should ask ourselves when looking to property for investment purposes.

Here’s my take:
    I choose to rent rather than buy a PPOR as a PPOR is a “Lifestyle” choice not an investment decision.

I agree with Bridgebuff on the subject of holding “non income” producing assets.

I also do not buy property in the “hope” that the Capital growth will emerge “someday”. Who knows when that might be.

If you are looking for growth then take up Steve’s mantra of “buy a problem + a solution = profit”. ie do quick renos ( less than 6 months) get the profit and do the next one, thereby building cash reserves.

Alternatively, follow Martin Ayles example, buy an old house, build two or three on the back reno the front one, sell the old one and one or two of the others and pay down the mortgage on the remaining one at the back, rent it out free of mortgage, thereby creating an income as well.

If you are looking primarily for income producing properties, then buy stuff that is positive cashflow or has the potential to be so once a cosmetic ( no not a full on restoration) reno is done then rent it at a higher rent, thereby the value increases and keep it as income.

You really seem to me to need to work out what your PI goals are then then the choices will narrow as to how to get that done.

You are right in that the vacant land also “eats up servicability”. and I’m not sure the ATO will look kindly on you trying to minimise your Cap Gains tax by splitting the profits the way you suggest. I believe that needs to be done prior to settlement if you want to avoid a double slug of Stamp Duty.

With your income and some cash in the bank, it seems to me that more IP’s are very much a possibility and you could be in a very nice position reasonably quickly if you play your cards right with the IPs in the beginning including setting up the appropriate structures to maximse your opportunities – see you accountant for advice on this one.

I also would not be buying vacant land as I see more benefit (read cash) in building on them and selling.

Hope this helps and keep asking those questions, there are loads of people here to answer them. Alternatively, PM me as I’m always happy to chat about this stuff.

Warm regards
    Sue

MIT | Owen Real Estate
    Email Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Ryan

Can I structure it in such a way as to have the CGT deducted at my wife’s tax rate or is it a 50/50 split ?? My wife earns significantly less that I do and enjoys a much lower tax rate.

Regretfully when buying the property in Qld you need to nominate how the holding will be on the Form 1 Transfer Document. I assume that you purchased the property as Joint Tenants so the gain will be split equally.

If however you purchasedx the property as Tenants in Common the split will be in accordance with the shareholding.

As you arew unable to negative gear land i beleive you would be better to consider constructing a property in the block and looking to either sell this or rent it out and utilise the equity.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.