All Topics / Help Needed! / Need advice on PI for absolute beginner

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of boshieboshie
    Participant
    @boshie

Hi All,

I have just discovered this site and it looks amazing, not to say helpful.

My partner & I want to get involved in the big wide world of property investment – but we are absolute beginners.

Our situation is as follows:
    In July of 2005 we purchased our first home (a 1956 brick home) on sydney’s northern beaches for $570k. We got a loan for $520k. Luckily my partner is a fantastic builder and we have been able to renovate and no doubt add value, so we are hoping that we have added value (ie equity) to our home.

We will be speaking to our bank shortly for a valuation and we are thinking (or hoping) to obtain around the $50k equity mark

Our financial situation, however is poor. We do struggle to pay our fortnightly mortgage repayment of $1780.00 as I am a mum and only working part-time. My partner (although he earns around $1900.00 / week) only shows a wage of around $30,000 on his tax return. We don’t have any savings as we pretty much live week to week. We own his vehicle but that is only worth around $10,000.

We are determined however, to make a break into the investment market and will do whatever it takes (although hopefully without having to sell our current home).

I have no idea how much the bank would lend us considering my partner’s $30k income plus my measley $10k per annum (if they even lend us at all). However, on the positive, if they do lend us money I’m assuming we should be starting off really small and preferably looking at something that can be positively geared ( as I doubt we have the $$$ to afford the difference of a negatively geared property).

Any ideas or suggestions on how we should start out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blurb…
    Robyn [biggrin]

Profile photo of BootlaceBootlace
    Participant
    @bootlace

Hi Robyn,

In my opinion, if you are struggling to meet current repayments then perhaps the IP idea should be put on hold until the disposable income situation improves.

In the current market, cashflow positive properties are difficult to find, therefore in all probability an IP would just add to your outgoings, rather than supplement your income, and therefore create a further drain on finances.

As for obtaining finance, it is difficult to say without further information but it sounds like your partner is a perfect candidate for a lo-doc loan. If you are not familiar with the term, lo-docs are primarily for the self employed who cannot, or will not (for various resaons) substantiate their income. Tax returns are not required and in most circumstances an income declaration will suffice. 50k will be sufficient for a 250k property at 80% LVR.

Judging by your repayments (assuming a 30 year loan) you seem to be paying in excess of 8% p/a. Even assuming a 25 year loan, the rate isn’t spectacular so this brings a whole new aspect to your situation. Perhaps something along the lines of this may be feasible –

– Refinance to an interest only loan (if you have enough equity built up you may be able to refinance into a number of lo-docs with very good rates). This will save you in the region of $200 a week.

– Rent your current house out. Most further renovations will then become deductible, further reducing the cost of improvements to your property.

– Rent for maybe 12-24 months until your financial position improves somewhat and then move back into your home. You should then have more equity, be in a significantly better financial position, and have had a good amount of time to research anything related to property investment and study local areas and trends in some depth.

Of course this is only one option, but it could be worth considering if your current situation really is dire. Whatever direction you decide to head in i hope it all works out well!

Jamie

Profile photo of BootlaceBootlace
    Participant
    @bootlace

Sorry, $200 a week should read $200 a fortnight. It’s been a long day!

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

If your partner only shows $30,000 on his tax return I assume he is self employed. That would allow him to get a lodoc loan if he has an ABN. But be careful, as the ATO may start asking questions down the track.
    Lodoc loans normally get 80% LVR’s (loan value ratio) at about .5% higher than market interest rates. But you do not need to prove your income to the banks. But you still need to find the 20% deposit plus the closing costs (stamp duty on property and morgage, land broker, building inspection, valuer, morgage registration, title search, adjustment of rates, loan application fee, etc).
    Having said all that, be careful. You have currently borrowed more than 90% of your purchase price in a market that is declining. So in spite of all the renovations that you have done, the value of your house may have gone down.
    If you look at investing, I suggest you look at reno projects, as your hubby is good with a hammer and screwdriver. I just bought Steve’s reno toolbox and can recommend it.
    Bootlace suggest to put the IP idea on hold and improve your financial situation. I totally agree with that. Read Steve’s latest book. It helps you to budget, set goals, etc. Use the next 1-2 years to get more equity behind you and learn as much as you can about investing. Look at lots of properties to get a feeling for the market, identify your niche, etc. Then when you are ready, you get off to a flying start.

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Hi Robyn,

Welcome to the exciting world of property investing!!

Here’s a simple 7 Step process to follow;
    Step 1 Set your ultimate goals
    Step 2 Prepare a budget
    Step 3 Read and develop an investment strategy
    Step 4 Build a strong team around you of property professionals
    Step 5 Research an area
    Step 6 Prepare a Feasibility study
    Step 7 Negotiate the deal and repeat.

Its that easy!! Need more help then visit http://www.propertydivas.com.au where you’ll find more details.

Happy investing,

AmandaBS
    http://www.propertydivas.com.au
    FREE online Property Resources

“It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.