All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice for selling one of my investment properties

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of mytchmytch
    @mytch

Hi everyone,
    I’m a long time viewer and first time poster. I’m 24 from Sydney and currently have 2 properties: an investment unit in Parramatta and my primary place of residence in Balmain.

I purchased my Parramatta unit in April 2003 for $435,000 in an inflated market. It’s 2bdr/2 bath, undercover car spot and wrap around balcony. I just rang my property manager (Laing Simmons) and asked about selling. Using comparable sales in the building he estimated it’d go for $330,000 ish.

Now, my repayments are $620 a week less the rent ($310pw). I want to get rid of the property but don’t want to sell because my mortgage is still $375,000 so I’d have to pony up $45,000+ which I don’t want to do.

Can anyone suggest some creative methods for selling such as rent to buy or any other advice?

Thanks,
    Mitch

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

ouch!! How does someone your agre afford two properties, with one over $450k?

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Sorry to hear your predicament Mytch.
    Here are few things you can try:
    1. Are you paying interest only on the I.P? If you are paying P&I talk to the bank about restructuring the payments to I.O. This will take some pressure off, plus you only need to be paying interest on your I.P, as it’s only the INTEREST that is tax deductible, and try to reduce debt on your non-deductible debt such as car, PPoR, c/c’s etc.
    2. Don’t forget to include a Depreciation Schedule in your tax return if you haven’t already done this. An apartment as expensive as yours will have excellent tax benefits from depreciation I would expect. If you haven’t had one done get it done asap and include it in last financial year’s tax return. You can use it for the previous 4 years if you haven’t included it, so you may be in for a good sized tax return which will help with the loan repayments.
    You will of course re-invest all tax returns into personal debt reduction won’t you?
    3. Rent out your PPoR and move into the cheapest rat infested dive you can find and make a profit off your PPoR rent. All the outgoings on your PPoR will become tax deductible as well. The combined effect will save you thousands I reckon.
    Do you have a good accountant? If not, get one asap.

On a more personal finance note: look very hard at your “latte factor” – the amount of money you waste every day on lifestyle and looking good.
    See how much money you can save by getting rid of the ‘wanker toys’ that all 24 year old males on high incomes have (I was one myself a million years ago!) and do it REALLY tough for a year or two – no one will care I promise.
    Other than that, you are stuck with it I’m afraid. You sound as though you have enough income to handle the neg cashflow? If so, try to weather the storm – the prices will eventually go back up but how long it will take no one knows.
    Paying that much for an apartment with no land value (even if it is in Sydney) to me is not a good idea. The higher the purchase price the lower the rent return tends to be.
    Next time go for something below the median house price; there are a bigger pool of renters and buyers in this price range, and the returns are always better. And make sure it has some land content as well.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of mytchmytch
    @mytch

Hi Marc,
    Thanks heaps for your reply – I did email my mortgage broker about interest only but she hasn’t gotten back to me yet, so hopefully I can get over to an interest only loan ASAP.

I own a software company, so that’s where my income comes from and it isn’t really that high, but I can still handle the payments with about $300-$500 a week spare.

I really don’t have any of the crap a typical 24 year old has – I went through that when I was 20-22 – the sports car, the wanky clothes, etc, no I just have what I need and am very focused on getting out of this rut I’ve put myself into.

I was reading Steve’s book and was thinking about buying a few cheap houses over the next 1-2 years with my own money, obviously because I’m so geared up with my 2 current properties. What are your thoughts on that if you have some time to reply?

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Hi again Mytch. I have all the time in the world to reply.
    I’m here in L.A on a 2.5 year holiday while my wife pursues her career. It’s tough, but someone has to make a sacrifice!
    Good to hear you have shaken off the typical consumerism we see today!! You should see L.A – it would make you cry. I know people who are earning over $100k per year who are in their mid-late 40’s and are still renting (in our apt building) and will be for life. But hey! they are keeping up with the Jones.

If you buy houses ‘with your own money’ you are missing out on valuable LEVERAGE.
    For example; if you spend $100k cash on one property and it goes up 10% per year, after 10 years it is worth $259k (10% compounding).
    But if you use that same $100k to buy 5 properties each worth $100k – using standard 20% deposit, 80% bank loan to finance remainder, you have then LEVERAGED the $100k.
    You now have 5 times the capital growth working for you.
    That same $100k when leveraged, after 10 years, is worth$1,295,000
    Of course, there is serviceability of the loans to be considered, but you see my point?
    As for cheaper houses, they are a better choice for rental returns mainly. This is important for not maxing out my serviceability, so I can continue to keep buying without straining the cashflow. Realistically, most tenants can only afford so much, and once you get over about $250 per week the renter pool really thins out a lot. So I have elected to buy cheaper, newer (for tax benefits) freestanding or semi-detached units and houses in the lower quarter of the market – always below the median for the area. This makes it a lot easier to find tenants and buyers should I need to sell. I buy properties that the majority of people can afford to buy or rent.
    Being free-standing or semi-detached is important because it means there is land content on the property, and it is the land content which goes up in value.
    This is my strategy so far, and I would like to expand into apartments one day – but not just one apartment; I want to buy the whole block. Then I still get the land!

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of jaydeejaydee
    @jaydee

hi,could u sell the place u r in and rent a house?that way u could refinance the investment property and have cheaper repayments. could u put the rent up?may be wait a while to sell until market is better.i am in a similar situation at moment.but i am hanging in for a while before i sell up.

Profile photo of Kipper57Kipper57
    @kipper57

I was just looking at your rent figures $310 sounds pretty cheap in this day and age. I am not sure if it is in the city or where its location is, but have you had the rent reviewed recently? I know in Brisbane would get a lot more than that so surely Sydney would. I guess it is all about location and access with units

Wayne Skewes
    Mortgage Broker
    Email [email protected]
    http://www.eaussie.com.au/Mortgages/Aussie_Mortgage_Adviser.asp?ContentID=852280
    Refinace, Loan Consolidation, Owner Occupied or Investment Finance. Free Service I come to you!

Profile photo of mytchmytch
    @mytch

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies. I had the rent re-evaluated about 3 months ago when the last tenant left.. the problem is the unit is on the first floor and lacks a lot of natural light, so I could only get it up to $310 – and after 6 weeks of potential tenants looking but not signing the lease I decided to take what I could get because I needed the money.

I understand about using $100k to buy 5 properties, but I think my serviceability will be the deciding factor for the banks should I go that route. I am currently geared to 60% of my nett income per week, so I doubt I can borrow more, hence the idea of buying maybe a few cheaper properties (sub 200k) over the next few years to improve my equity position. Does that make sense?

In the short term I’ll be converting my investment property to interest only, and I’m just getting my plan of attack ready to make more money…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.