All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Tax implications for lease /option credist

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of drgraemedrgraeme
    Participant
    @drgraeme

Does anyone know what happens in this situation.

Person A leases a property, plus for $2000 purchases an option on the property.

Rental is set at $300 pw, of which half is to be credited towards purchase if the option is exercised. During this time person A sublets the property for $250pw, and claims the difference as a tax deduction.

After two years (and $5k in tax deductions) person A cannot afford to purchase the property and sells the option for $3k.

I understand that if person A purchase the property themselves the correct accounting proceedure would be for an adjustment to be made to reflect that the credits become capital costs rather than expenses.

If person A could not purchase the property and subsequently sells the option one would imagine that the tax deductions for person A would stand, but how would the purchaser account for the $5k in credits? Say the purchase price was $200,000, is this the capital base cost for CGT purposes etc, or is the actual cost, or $200k +3k for option – 5k in credits = $198,000?

What would happen if the option was actually sold to the “Person A family trust”. Person A has claimed the $5k as an expense, then the trust uses it to reduce the price it pays for a capital assett?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Graeme :-)

Profile photo of drgraemedrgraeme
    Participant
    @drgraeme

Very sorry,, I just read my post and realise the thax deductions are $5k, but the credits amount to $15k.

This makes the actual cost to the purchaser of $188k.

Would an arms length purchaser get a CGT base of $200k (the contract purchase price) when it effectively only cost $188k ??

Could Person A get a $5k tax deduction while the trust gets $15k towards the purchase price?

Graeme :-)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.