All Topics / General Property / Help – Power Surge Equipment Damage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of ctaingctaing
    Participant
    @ctaing

I hope someone can give opinion and insight on this issue.

About a fortnight ago while leaving the 4 year old washing machine on time delay to have washing done by the next morning, my washing machine stalled. I could not be exact on which day it happened.

I had a repairer looked at it and said it would cost $1100 for a change of motor (machine cost over $3000 and was sold to me based on its German quality)[ohno2].

My local electricity supplier, Alinta Asset Management Pty Ltd, asked me to lodge a claim for it to be reviewed by their loss assessor to see if my claims come under the terms of Electricity Industry Guideline No 11 – Voltage Variation Compensation.

I would really appreciate some feedback on whether anyone has success on their claims, and how I could put my case forward to them when I am in a toss on date and time of the incident.[glum]

CT

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Ctaing. A lot will depend on whether or not you could get information as to whether there is any issue or ‘manufacturing problem’ with this part of the machine or not. For example, if the repairer says he has not seen this happen before, or it is a rare occurance, it give you a basis to make a claim. However, if there is no ‘official’ recognizing of any fluctuation in voltage, such as a brownout (where the voltage actually decreases briefly, the equipment componants try to compensate, and then when power returns to normal…..BAM!) – which can be in a split second …. I have done numerous claims for storm and power damage over the years as an office equipment technician, and there are usually no problems if it is acknowledged that there has been a power issue from the supplier. Is your area prone to this sort of thing? Finally, to expediate things, and make it fair on your repairer, you will need to pay for repairs first, and then put in a claim – but obviously pursue the discussions first with their loss assessor…. All the best.[strum]

Profile photo of ctaingctaing
    Participant
    @ctaing

Thanks V8ghia, it’s a relief to hear from you, I almost gave up on trying to make a claim.

I do not know for sure if our “still new” estate is prone to fluctuations of voltage. There were times when I found our digital time clock flashing in the morning. It seemed that they occurred in the wee hours in the morning.

The repairer might be trying to pull a shifty; the washing machine could start but not agitate (buzzer would scream at rinse cycle) but it could spin dry no problem.[eh]

I queried him, he explained that he rarely service this type of machine as they were known to last the distance. He was adamant that it was not the electronics but it needed a motor replacement.

Then he suggested to make claim through Home Content Insurance (fusion). I rang but found that I had to seek the electrical supplier’s confirmation of a power surge at the particular date and time of the incident. [crying]

So, I did the run around and found that I could make claim through Alinta instead (without going through our content insurer which would incur $300 excess, losing NCB and 5% increase in next year’s premium).

My machine was fixed within two days, and I have agreed to pay up on Monday when it is delivered. The repairer will give me a report and invoice which I have to pay upfront.

Being ignorant, I really hate to be conned. Are there any smart questions I have failed to ask?

Although it is a little late, I would be grateful for any answers or suggestions. Can you indulge me again, V8ghia?

CT

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Do you have a fusion policy in your insurance policy ???

D

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi CT
    Sounds like you’ve covered everything, and by the time you read this will have done your first load of washing all going well!
    A lot of it depends on wording when you write the letter to Alinta, but if you keep it polite, and to the point, that all you are requesting is for reimbursement for repairs to your machine that cannot be attributed to normal wear and tear, show you have researched it, (why it is not a usually repair etc) and that the repair agent has made a comment like this on the invoice (such as replace motor, damage caused by possible power fluctuation- no other faults found) and of course make reference that you had been concerned for sometime about some of your appliances when you noticed the frequency with which your alarm clock resets at night etc. That would usually be suffice. As I mentioned, a lot depends on whether or not they acknowledge this as something that possibly occured. Hopefully they will look after you then with this. Bear in mind it may take several weeks, but keep following it up, and make sure you right down dates and names when you speak to people regarding this. All the best…….[strum]

Profile photo of ctaingctaing
    Participant
    @ctaing

Hi D and V8ghia, I think the problem is proving that it was fusion; and the onus is on me to prove with the support of the power supplier (in this case Alinta). So, it’s much ‘easier’ if I can make claim through Alinta.

Thank you all for your replies. Now it’s all done, machine works beautifully. I thought the repairer was courteous, efficient, able to answer my incessant queries with the need to replace the motor. Also, he returned the old motor and said it might well worth some money if sold in eBay, not that I ever would.

I am about to fill in the form (giving my best recollection of event and time) along with support documents of the original purchase date, the repair bill, and the receipt to be assessed. It’ll take about 4 weeks before I hear an answer.[tired]

My experience has taught me a lesson; even the best machine can and do break down, certainly didn’t justify the money spent. I’ll be more prudent next time round.[grad]

CT

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.