All Topics / Help Needed! / Self management of IP

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of MunnoMunno
    @munno

G’day fellow Investors,

As you all know from my recent posts that we have bought house and will be moving into it soon. We are thinking to manage the current apartment we live in ourselves but don’t know where to start? Is there any software which will help me keep records and print rent receipts? How about getting contract signed with tenants?
    If we take one month deposit from them, can we hold that money in our account?

Please guide us.

Regards,

Profile photo of MunnoMunno
    @munno

I just found below link which will give me starting point but would love to hear advise from you all who manage IP themselves.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/realestaterenting/tenantslandlords/managingapropertyyourself.html

Regards,

Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

G’day Munno,

There are plenty of tools out there to help with tracking rents, expenses, etc with regards to property, but the question is is it worth managing your own IP. In my opinion no, I suppose the whole “To get a property manager, or not to get a property manager” is a bit like insurance, you don’t need it unless something goes wrong.

If you decide to manage your own property you’re going to have to find your own tenants, prepare your own tenancy agreements, collect bonds, collect rent, chase late rent, take phone calls from disgruntled tenants, arrange your own repairs, go to VCAT (if needed) etc etc. For mine, the 5-6% I’m paying my property manager is worth it, especially if you’re planning on holding more than one IP, I’ve just factored this into all my feasibility studies.

Up to you to decide whether its worthwhile or not, but I’d stick with the professionals, just like I wouldn’t draw architectural plans myself, I pay professionals to do the tasks that they do best and are qualified for.

D.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I manager our IPs myself. I get all the forms and information from the RTA website. We live close by so it is simple for me. I have had very few problem tenants over nearly 30 years and have heard many stories about slack PMs, so why not save yourselv some money.

I put any receipts during the year into a folder for that particular house and at the end of the year I divide them into some sort of order and give them to my accountant with loan interest amounts and rent received – very simple. I don’t use any software.

Wylie

Participant
    @d_robb21

Interesting to hear Wylie, as I said, I think its like insurance, you don’t need it until something goes wrong [biggrin]

Could be wrong, I’m still pretty new to the game, each to their own.

D.

@munno

Please note that we already have tenants ready and know them for few years now. I suspect nill to very little trouble with them.

wylie,

you mentioned that you get forms from RTA site. What has RTA to do with property investment? If possible, can you please provide me links.

Regards,

@wylie

RTA is Residential Tenancies Association. I don’t know how to put a link but a Google search will bring it up. I don’t know where you are but I assume each state would have a similar site. They explain what you need to do at the start of a tenancy, what forms must be given to tenants etc. You download the forms, fill them in on the screen and print them out. It would pay to sit down and have good look at the appropriate site for your state, to feel comfortable with the requirements.

As far as being like insurance, not needing it until something goes wrong – we certainly have had things go wrong, but I read quite often on this forum about things going wrong with managed properties as well. We have had some issues, and they can be stressful, but I feel very much in control and I know what is going on with my tenants.

If you have tenants already lined up, why not save yourself lots of money. If you feel down the track that it is too much work, hand it over then.

For us, we advertise, put a tenant in and generally leave them alone. We don’t do inspections, with the exception of the rare occasions that things go pear-shaped. However, we do live nearby and can do the occasional drive past check. Our houses are in good condition, so we only have to deal with the occasional plumbing issue or similar.

I would never want to pay 8% or so for a manager to do as little as we need to, but I fully respect those who do. I grew up with my parents having IPs so it is second nature and I understand that others feel differently.

Wylie

@munno

I did a search on google and couldn’t find site equivalent to “Residential Tenancies Association” site of QLD for NSW. Can someone tell me what is the site name for NSW?

Profile photo of WakeWake
    Participant
    @wake

Hi

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au

Select the real estate & renting link on LHS and go from there. It tells you about the rights and responsibilities of the landlord and tenant, what is required to self manage etc.

Regards

Wake

@munno

Wake,

That is the link I mentioned in my earlier post and had briefly gone through that page but it doesn’t have any forms to download. e.g. Tenancy agreement etc.

@wylie

I have read in other answers on this forum that you can buy a kit for about $10 or so from newsagents (or maybe it was post offices) in some states. I have always wondered why people don’t download them for free, but maybe RTA Queensland is just generous. Could this buying from a newsagent be the answer for NSW forms?

Wylie

Profile photo of dare_to_dreamdare_to_dream
    @dare_to_dream

Hi d_robb21,

Can I ask how you are getting 5-6% management fees? Have you got a lot of properties or something because my understanding is that management fees are around 8-10% ?????

Thanks
    Paul[suave2]

Participant
    @d_robb21

G’day Paul,

10% seems pretty high for property management fees, we negotiated down to 6% as we were building a house at the back and the property manager wants to get it once its completed, but her normal rates were around 7%. Its a very competitive industry, so negotiate, advise them you are a property investor in the area and are looking for a property manager to manage your portfolio as you build it and I’m sure they will give you very competitive rates for your business.

Dave.

Profile photo of bendbanksbendbanks
    Participant
    @bendbanks

http://www.barclaymis.com.au/links.php

Should help you with all the links you might need.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.