All Topics / Value Adding / painting airless spray gun

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of nordicskiernordicskier
    @nordicskier

Has anyone used an airless spray gun to paint the inside of a house? What sort of spay gun and how much did it cost? Does it signifcantly cut the time to paint? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

Hi NordicSkier

We have used an airless spray gun. Not sure how much it costs as we have had ours for many years. And, my handyman (who does most of my painting these days) also uses one.

It is the only thing to use for those highly textured ceilings so popular for units in the 50s and 60s in Adelaide.

Main things to watch is the edges and overspray. And some paints may need thinning. If I remember rightly, there is less overspray than spray guns with air compressors but there is still overspray.

Mum

Profile photo of freeman cooperfreeman cooper
    @freeman-cooper

Hi Nordicskier,

I have been a painter for several years,
    I think spraying the outside of the house is fine however you need to be a bit carefull inside,
    Mum was right, they are great to spray textured walls and ceilings
    however if you paint smooth surfaces it is very noticable if you have to touch up unless you use the gun again. The other thing to consider is that you have to thin the paint down to spray and what you have done is thin the paint out, the layer of paint you just layed on is thinner than if it was rolled. You may have to lay 3 coats to have the same thickness as 2 coats from a roller. But they are quicker. You can also spray 1 under coat 1 top coat and roll the last coat, eliminating most of the downers with spraying.
    Are you painting this yourself? I am not yet confident enough to guarantee that I can spray as good as I can roll. To be honest I think I can brush and roll probally a bit slower. So I hope that helps you some.
    Regards
    Frank

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

“The other thing to consider is that you have to thin the paint down to spray and what you have done is thin the paint out, the layer of paint you just layed on is thinner than if it was rolled”

Why do you want to thin it down???????????What sort of airless spray unit are you talking about? I assume it must be one of those handheld units they sell at Bunnings.If you use professional sprayers,there is no need to thin the paint.

Have a look at this link and you will see the sort of thing you need.

http://www.airless.com.au/Titan%20Speeflo%20Petrol%20Airless%20Sprayers.htm

You can hire these and have the job done in no time.The suction hose goes straight in to your paint tin (or some units have a hopper that you tip the paint in to)and off you go.It is a good idea to have someone to assist you who can come behind you and back roll what you have sprayed.This will even out the paint and give it a better finish than what you will achieve by spraying,especially if you have never sprayed before.

Tools

Profile photo of freeman cooperfreeman cooper
    @freeman-cooper

Hi Tools,
    Thanks for the link,
    I did look at buying one of these units, however I thought they were a bit expensive for the time saved considering you have to roll anyway. For me it was’nt even worth the $120 to hire it.
    I’m under the impresion that nordicskier has not done this before.
    They do look great for outdoors or large internal walls ( factory etc).
    Maybe a short course in spraying would help nordicskier.
    By the way my spray guns are from Bunnings.
    Regards
    Frank

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.