All Topics / Help Needed! / A good thing?!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Bangers68Bangers68
    Participant
    @bangers68

We have placed under contract a house in a North Queensland coastal town that is currently undergoing major mining and marina projects. The house has been converted into 4 units (2 up, 2 down) and returning $590/wk.

Considering our accepted offer of $300K, we consider the deal to be of substantial benefit as it has full tenancy with long leases.

There is a high demand for rental properties in this town due to transient fruit-pickers, backpackers, mining staff and project workers.

My question is: On face value this appears to be a good deal (too good to be true). So I ask this……………..Is this too good to be true, or are we missing something?!

Bangers

“The answer is already “No”……Unless you ask!!

Profile photo of crushercrusher
    Participant
    @crusher

The return on investment sounds good. What sort of condition is the property in? Have you had a building and pest inpection done yet? Are the units approved by Council? Do they meet fire regulations? Is the property in a flood prone area? (check with Council). Can you get Landlords insurance for the units? Why is the vendor selling?

That’s just a few things ‘off the top of my head’ to consider. Other forumites might have more suggestions.

I hope it works out for you.

Todd Burns
    http://www.freepropertyhelp.com.au

Profile photo of Bangers68Bangers68
    Participant
    @bangers68

Thank you Crusher for your tips……Will check those details ASAP.

“The answer is already “No”……Unless you ask!!

Profile photo of WakeWake
    Participant
    @wake

Don’t waste time worrying about whether it’s too good to be true. Put your time into checking market rents for similar units/houses to see if the rent is fair, and that market value is also fair (if not already done). In our experience you will usually get a higher rent return on a property that has several dwellings, than if being used just as a house. Check the types of things Crusher mentioned which should not take long, and if it seems OK, it probably is.

The beauty of such a place is that if one unit is vacant, you still have money coming in. We have a similar IP in a QLD mining area which I suspect is near where you are looking, We bought on a 8.5% yeild 2 yrs ago and it is now on 11.3% based on our cost, and 8.5% based on its current market value. Only 1 day vacant between tenants.

Good luck.
    Wake

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.