All Topics / Help Needed! / Has anyone moved a house?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of alndalealndale
    Participant
    @alndale

Hi

We’re in the process of looking for a house to relocate onto a block that we’re subdividing. Just wondering if anyone has done this and what hints, tips or things to look for there might be.

I went and looked at one this afternoon that the couple want moved so they can build their million dollar beachfront mansion. The back quarter is on a slab so can’t be moved but rather pulled apart and re-erected. Could be more hassle than it will return, but at least this will get rid of the white ants that are in that section. The rest of the house is structurally sound and quite spacious.

I settle on the block in four weeks and we already have our DA submitted for the subdivision. Now all I need is a house to put behind it and some willing buyers.

Any suggestions???

Alison

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Alison

i relocated a home about 9 years ago. WE relocated a Farm house from Donald in country Victoria 100Km to Stawell.

Back then it was hard to get finance from the banks for this type of venture. I believe westpac did it but that was about all (things might have changed). The finance people we used would only give us money for the home when we had our certificate of occupancy (completion).

The greatest cost is the relocation, for myself the home cost 3000 but moving it cost about 22K from memory including anew roof. You would be best to put a new roof on the home while your doing the relocation. That way when you have finished you will have new stumps and a new roof.

I found the electrical cost – of getting it rewired safety box etc a lot more than i was expecting. We decided to make a few structural changes , moving walls etc which also added to our cost. New kitchen, repaint , recarpet, it all added up.

At the end of the day we were ahead but not as much as my original estimates.

Better to pay a little more for a house that needs nothing rather than pay less for a home that needs a lot when you have moved it.

all the best
    regards westan

USA deals, cash flow equity and capital growth all in one property.
    International Property Consulting Pty/Ltd.
    Property Investing New Zealand Ltd
    http://www.iproperty.net.au

Profile photo of alndalealndale
    Participant
    @alndale

Thanks for your tips Westan

I have been quoted 35-40K to move the house and have now found two with potential. One is free for removal but will have some structural things to do once moved ie. replace the back wall, the other is supposed to have been renovated and they want $30K for the house but I am yet to look at it.

Alison

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi alison

there is a huge difference in prices expected by sellers,often depends who your buying from and there motivation. The same house could be nothing or could be 30K.

One strategy to enlarge the home is to leave a void when you put the home together and build this in. what i mean is place the 2 haves of the home (if you have to split it) about 4 metres apart this could create an extra family room or bedroom etc depending on the layout of the home. Sorry its a bit tricky to explain what i mean.

What state are you in ? If victoria i’m happy to recommend the guys i worked with. (although it was 8 years ago)

regards westan

USA deals, cash flow equity and capital growth all in one property.
    International Property Consulting Pty/Ltd.
    Property Investing New Zealand Ltd
    http://www.iproperty.net.au

Profile photo of DevinDevin
    @devin

Hi Alison
    My wife and I have just finished this, It worked out pretty good and we are now living in the moved house. All up the cost to move the house was $36 000 with the other major expenses being $4000 for plumbing, $4000 for electrical. The grand total was $85 000 plus $16 000 for Council costs.

Depending on the state of the house you might not have to do much renovation beside the obviouse like painting and fixing cracks.

We got our house for free as long as we had the site clean and ready for the developer to build.

As I said before it worked out great for us, but I must say that it was a lot of work.

Do your homework and do the numbers.

Good luck

Profile photo of alndalealndale
    Participant
    @alndale

Thanks Westan and Devin

It’s a great idea to leave the void and get a bigger home and something I’ll definately talk to a builder about tomorrow. I’m in NSW and the house site is in Macksville.

Devin, your figures look similar to my estimates. It’s great to get confirmation that I’m on the right track.

Alison

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I did a thread on this one which I was directly involved in doing the renovations for also looking for the house suitable etc.

Titled: Country Case Study
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/11106.html

Interested in Joint Venture Reno Projects

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Hi Alison,
    We did a removal house 3 years ago in Qld.
    If you do a search on this forum you’ll also find that other’s have asked the same question so you might find some useful information. Otherwise I’d first suggest you visit your local council to determine what fees, charges and restrictions apply as they all vary. Most homes will require the payment of a bond to Council before removal. We also had the problem of the bank not recognising the house as an asset until it was on the new site and stumped, so that made cashflow very tight. The house will need to be brought up to today’s building standards with tie down, bracing, insulation new plumbing and wiring. It took us 12 months to complete but the result was amazing. Happy to send some pic’s if you like.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.