All Topics / Help Needed! / how does this IP sound

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of michael76michael76
    @michael76

165k property investment unit, owner is selling to move, recently renovated, current owner/seller needs to stay once sold for another 6 months paying $240p/w rent, property in the same complex fetch between 240-260 p/w rent.

Is this an opportunity or not? here are some options.

– Use cash saved to purchase the property (all cash no loan)
    – Use equity in property to purchase with 10% deposit
    – Use equity in property to purchase with 50%+ deposit

Any advise would be great. im going to see the property today and our accountant on Saturday.

Cheers
    Michael

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Michael

I will assume you have done your due dilligence on the property and the location so will not comment on this front.

With regards to your finance i am unsure as to whether you have any non tax deductible debt on your PPOR but if you have certainly would not suggest that you pay cash for the property.

Ideally if this is the case structure your PPOR so that you can deposit funds into an offset account and get this working for you to reduce the PPOR mortgage.

On the investment front if the deal is a stand alone deal and you borrow more than 80% then you will likely incur LMI. Whilst, this is a treated as a loan cost and therefore is Tax deductible if you can avoid it all well and good.

This could be done by either utilising equity in another property and borrowing the 20% + costs or using cash to use as your 20% deposit.

Either way this is probably a personal choice and without more details on your own personal circumstances is hard to comment.

Remember whilst interest costs are deductible they are only deductible at your highest marginal rate. You still therefore need to come up with something.

With regards to how you purchase the property it is again difficult to comment without knowing your position and whether you have a partner, dependants etc and whether either party is working and their Taxable income. Certainly dependant on these factors purchasing in Trust maybe a consideration.

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker
    **Lodoc Commercial loans from 7.19%**
    Licensed Financial Planner
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com
    [email protected]
    Ph: 07-3720 1888

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hey there,
    Just a suggestion, Get at least 2 independant property managers to go throug the property and get a rental appraisal and also see if there is anything that may allow an increase in rental return.
    This will give you an idea of the worst case scenario that your tennant pulls the pin you are not left hanging off the lemon tree!
    Cheers
    Kiwi

Profile photo of MooseheadMoosehead
    @moosehead

I would advise against using cash to purchase the property if you are doing this for wealth creation.

Why? Real estate as an investment vehicle by itself is inferior to other vehicles (etc shares) over the long term. The only thing that makes it superior is the amount of leverage you can get on an RE investment.

If had 165k sitting around I would either use that to buy the most amount of properties I could, subject to getting finance OR gear into shares/manage funds albeit at a lower gearing ratio.

Just my 2c

Profile photo of bradjebradje
    Participant
    @bradje

I can’t remember Steve in any of his books or articles ever saying to use more cash than is a minimum. Otherwise what is the pt of cash on Cash return?
    Maybe others have a different perspective?

JB

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.