All Topics / Help Needed! / to buy family home or investment property

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of dragons_1908dragons_1908
    @dragons_1908

hi guys would appreciate some help here

i was wondering if it would be better to buy a family home wait to pay of some princable and use the equity to then buy investments down the track.

or

would it be better to rent out a house n buy a investment property as soon as possible i no rent money is wasted money but jst need some guidence on this one thanx

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Hi

If I was 20 again and I lived in Sydney, I would rent and purchase an investment property. Even consider buying in another city or country for that matter. Because of the rent coming in it will enable you to purchase a more expensive property than you could otherwise afford. In Sydney it is certainly cheaper to rent than buy. So enjoy your lifestyle and buy an investment property. If you still live with your parents then all the more reason to invest.

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Australian and New Zealand The United States Property Researcher and education
    One Day property investment research workshop The United States. Please register your interest
    http://www.changingplaces.com.au Buyers advocate.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of crushercrusher
    Participant
    @crusher

Hi,

I agree with Nigel. I too would rent if rent is cheap where you want to live and buy an investment where rent returns and capital growth are high.

This is a trend that is occurring now. More people are making their first property purchase an investment property rather than an owner occupied property.

Todd Burns
    http://www.freepropertyhelp.com.au

Profile photo of dsmithdsmith
    @dsmith

Hello,

I too subscribe to the rent theory and buy property for investment. It is definitely cheaper although the main thing is to be disciplined. The amount you save by renting as opposed to paying off a mortgage needs to be put aside for investing. After all, this is exactly why you would rent in the first place so make sure you save and invest the difference.

Cheers
    Danny

Profile photo of TimCTimC
    @timc

Hi mate

I agree with the comments above….I am 24 and my wife and I bought our family home 3 yrs back as ‘it was the thing you did’ when you get married etc….However after spending the last 18months or so getting my head around the property thing, buying an investment place and really setting some goals and realistic ways to get there, we made the pretty big move to move out of our family home and start renting. We rented out the family home and are now in the process of trying to sell it, free up cash and fund developments. Our basic idea was that we had a $200k mortgage that was eating up a pretty big chunk of our pay, we couldn’t get any of the interest back through tax and we were therefore pretty limited with what we can do investment wise. Now our rent is half of what our mortgage used to be, therefore leaving more cash flow to buy IPs…Yeah you will get the old ‘rent money is dead money’ thing and if you only want to own your own family home then thats great, but in todays market to be able to afford to buy IPs it can be a little hard if you have a massive mortgage on your family home as well.

I guess my main point in my little story is if we had known a few years ago what we know now, we wouldnt have bought our own house, just rented from the start and bought IP’s.

Sorry bout the war and peace effort above.

Cheers

Tim

Profile photo of garywith1rgarywith1r
    Participant
    @garywith1r

Fantastic advice. This is a major decision in an investment career. If you can detach yourself from the emotion that comes from home ownership then you’re more than half way there.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

This is a really really tough one and involves so many factors it’s almost impossible to accurately pin it down. Opinions will prevail and cold hard facts will go straight out the window. There are a bunch of economic factors (alluded to above) and then there are a bunch of family / emotional / touchy feely ones. Chuck all them into the mix and it gets tad grey.

Our path way back, had us buying 2 IP’s in Perth (as we knew we’d gravitate back there eventually) and renting in Glenelg SA where we had jobs. Our 3rd prop. was our first PPoR in Perth and about half the value of any of our IP’s. I suppose it was an OK strategy looking back, but certainly not the fastest and hardest track of all. Social standing and pressures from female friends and female relatives were very heavily brought to bear. These are very real and should never be underestimated in your wealth building…..especially if the females are the type that “look rich but are dirt poor”.

There are usually enormous pressures imposed by external forces to purchase the biggest flashest PPoR you can possibly afford to attain the “lifestyle” element as quickly as possible. Try and go the other way to get ahead financially quickly, and all hell breaks loose…..from all quarters but mainly the female members of your circle of influence.

Thankfully my wife resisted those pressures and gritted her teeth and we screamed ahead of all of those detractors who were living in nicer houses in nicer suburbs. They looked down and derided us for 3 years. Nowadays, however, they shake their heads in disbelief at where we are living in a fully paid off PPoR and can’t understand how we can afford to live where we do. It is very very tempting to return their derision that they lumped on us 8 years ago. We just watch them still trying to look rich and in fact continue to be poor. None are prepared to go through the sacrifices we did, but all want to be where we live.

Going the other way is IMO definitely the way to go….get a cheap cheap cheap PPoR on it’s own block of land in some suburb that your friends and rellies fear driving into….and pay it off ASAP. Grit your teeth and go hard for a few years until you get some equity happening.

If you have strong female family members who demand the best in life…material possession wise….upfront before you have equity behind you….I’d simply just pack it all in and resign yourself to the fact you will appear wealthy and yet be poor for your entire life. I meet people like this every day.

Some people may take offence at the above, ‘cos it certainly goes against the common grain of modern society….but then 92% of people in modern society go nowhere economically anyway…..so I’m really directing my comments to the 8% of winners who hopefully frequent this site and are prepared to put in the hard yards…but hey – that’s been my experience…..it certainly isn’t all just economic factors.

Good luck in your choice and try and ignore all of the massive external forces that will be brought to bear.

Profile photo of Chris.R_WAChris.R_WA
    Participant
    @chris.r_wa

Hi,
    I generally agree with the above mentioned points. However, I feel you may be missing a creative compromise.
    The family home can also be an investment. If you do your research you may find that it is not a black or white decision, and the PPOR can be treated by you as an investment also.
    My partner and I went through this decision process only 6 months ago. We decided to buy a home to live in, in an area where we normally wouldn’t consider living in, because it had large subdividable blocks. We plan to duplex the back of the lot while we live in the front house for 12 months, then move and rent/sell (depending on the market). As well as having attractive CGT implications, you can sell off the vacant back lot and repay a large chunk of your loan (fast equity) or use that cash to fund IPs.
    If you can make a lifestyle sacrifice by living in a slighlty less attractive area for 12 months, then you can move towards having the benefits of both IP and PPOR rolled into one.

Sorry for the long reply, just something else to think about [evo]

Participant
    @chris.r_wa

You just snuck your reply in before me Daz.

I completely agree with what you said!!

Profile photo of TimCTimC
    @timc

Completely agree with what Chris said above…friends of ours did a similar thing (buy PPOR on big block, subdivide land and sell it off etc) and thats a great way to go….there are lots of different ways to do it, each with its pro’s and cons thats for sure.

in regards to dazzlings comments, i can sooooo relate to that!! have similar situation in our family where female rellies who like nice stuff and are all bout material things etc were a bit taken aback when we decided to move out of our PPOR and rent it out. But they are mortgaged to the hilt and are currently having to beg borrow and steal to meet each mortgage payment whereas we are planning a $500k unit development for end of the year…I know what position i would rather be in!!!

cheers

Tim

Profile photo of dragons_1908dragons_1908
    @dragons_1908

thank you guys for all your comments i appreciate it all the help i can get

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

If you own the home you cannot claim any repairs, insurance, council rates,interest on your loan as tax deductible expense. Plus side- no capital gains tax is incurred on primary residence when you sell it some time in the future.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by Duckster:

If you own the home you cannot claim any repairs, insurance, council rates,interest on your loan as tax deductible expense.

Plus side- no capital gains tax is incurred on primary residence when you sell it some time in the future.

How about if you didn’t own it..but you controlled it,…you pay CGT if you sell, but if you dont sell and acquire additional IP’s under this banner, renting from a Company controlled by yourselves.

I’ve heard of many ways of doing this..with Negatives and Positives on both sides

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by Chris.R_WA:

We plan to duplex the back of the lot while we live in the front house for 12 months, then move and rent/sell (depending on the market). As well as having attractive CGT implications, you can sell off the vacant back lot and repay a large chunk of your loan (fast equity) or use that cash to fund IPs.
    [evo]

You still pay CGT on the back block dont you?

A great strategy though, one I’d love to employ, though I’d rent the front one, sell the back block and use the cash for another IP Deposit (or two).

Redwing

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Participant
    @chris.r_wa

Hi Redwing,

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Yes we still pay CGT on the back block, back it is discounted 50% after 12 months from purchase of INITIAL un-subdivided block, and CGT payable is calculated on proportional value of each block.
    It took me a little while to get my head around that ATO rule.

Medium term plans are to keep the front house and rent out while we do the same thing again on another block. Thats the plan anyway.

Profile photo of reidpgreidpg
    @reidpg

There are a couple of things that occur to me here:

1/ If you buy a PPOR and live in it for a period of time (6 months/2 years?) then you can move out and rent the property and its still your PPOR for CGT purposes for 7 years and hence no CGT is payable when you sell provided you havent bought another PPOR.

2/ You potentially could use a Hybrid Trust structure where you don’t own the property directly rather through a unit trust that you control (through a trustee company). You then, in theory, can claim the tax deductions on the investment units you have bought but live in the property paying rent to the trust. You can also sell some/all the investment units to someone else even your own superfund!

My thought is – buy the house you want to live in next as your investment property (you can borrow more as your income has increased by the rental income) and live more modestly for the next few years until you are ready and afford to move into it. Try and use a Line of Credit or Offset mortgage so you can reduce the mortgage but dont have tax implications if you want to reuse the money you have paid off for another investment.

Phil

Profile photo of eddieleckie30201eddieleckie30201
    @eddieleckie30201

Hello everyone,

I saw your question on the forum and thought I would throw in my five cents worth. It is funny we were just talking about this same topic today and thought we could shed some light on a strategy that has been very successful for us and will give you some food for thought as they say.

A way that we have found to help us not only pay for our mortagage, but gives us a small passive income on our own home; which we use for investing.

We have a property that is close to the city and near Curtin Uni and we rent out a couple of our rooms to overseas students for about of $150-200 per week (inc breakfast or/and dinner). So we receive about $300-400 per week in rent. This leaves us about gross $50-100 per week in our pocket once we have paid our mortgage and expenses etc.

We have an agency that pre-screens the students to suit our situation, like non smokers etc.

We generally have a student in the rooms for most of the year, but when it is almost time for them to leave or if it is during holiday time we simply advertise in the paper under short term accomodation or ring the agency.

We have found that the students are very well behaved and consciencious and great fun to be around. Since they are here to learn, you will find that they are on their best behaviour anyway.

(The beauty of this strategy is if you didn’t want to live in the home and wanted to rent a house you could still do that and you have your mortgage paid for by the students etc. But if you wanted to experience other cultures etc, it can be quite rewarding.

This strategy is great for helping you reach your goal quicker since someone else is paying your mortgage; the rent is a little more than normal; good accomodation in good locations is hard to find; gives students security being with a host family or couple. Plus you can keep an eye on your property by being there too).

We are in the process of upgrading our home for a bigger one and implimenting this same strategy. We have decided to live in this next home as we thoroughly enjoy the experience.

We have decided that as Steve had done with some of his previous properties, is to unlock the equity by selling and using that to get this bigger home. It will mean that we have a smaller mortgage to begin with and since their is no captial gains on it either.

We could have simply kept it and continued to rent ot students, but the properties where we live are getting more and more expensive and will be well over a million if we don’t do it now.

Our strategy is simple,” 4 green houses, one red hotel”. The key to winning in the game of Monoply is to have as many of these red hotels as possible, which increases your chances of receiving income (rent) everytime someone lands on your square.

Or we could have simply split the profit as many times as possible to buy multiple properties. We have decided against doing this as we want to maximise the capital growth in our area. This strategy helps us also receive cashflow too. So it is the best of both worlds.

Hope that this helps. Sorry for it being so long. I promise to make it shorter next time.

Thanks everyone.

( I really love reading the forum and Steve great website by the way! I read it everyday)

Edwardo

[party]

Profile photo of asdfasdf
    Participant
    @asdf

Sounds like renting is the way to do it in Syd at the mo. However a friend I know has taken advantage of the biggest tax loophole ever. He has made over $2.5M over only 3 PPORs in <10 years (net of transaction and reno costs). Not a bad effort at zero % tax!

Profile photo of jasevr4jasevr4
    @jasevr4
    Originally posted by asdf:

Sounds like renting is the way to do it in Syd at the mo. However a friend I know has taken advantage of the biggest tax loophole ever. He has made over $2.5M over only 3 PPORs in <10 years (net of transaction and reno costs). Not a bad effort at zero % tax!

Any chance of you enlightening us asdf? [biggrin]

A PM would be awesome…. [thumbsupanim]

Profile photo of salsachinitasalsachinita
    @salsachinita

Great topic & great replies [thumbsupanim], as always!

We have sort of been down that decision process, though our situation slightly differs.

We (my partner & I) are living in my former IP (bought ’99, with my father, whose name is still on the title/mortgage) , located in inner bayside Melbourne. It’s a 2 BRM ’60s flat (reno just completed, bathrm to do next), almost all paid off now.

We are contemplating on what to do next. Of course, the equity on this property (now a PPOR) is enough to get another IP. The dilemma is the fact that my father’s name is still on the title, making any change complicated (he is unwilling to do anything, apart from paying the mortgage off).

What would you do in our situation? Put all resources into paying off the remainder of the mortgage ($45K), or complete the bathrm reno ($20Ks)….? Wait for the price to drop a little more before buying, or start looking now….?

Sorry about the topic diversion [blush2]…….I’m happy to start another thread if that’s the right thing to do…….

Any suggestion would be really appriciated!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.