All Topics / Help Needed! / Motel Apartments/Units

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of The PupsThe Pups
    @the-pups

Hey all,

Just curious as to whether or not anyone has had experience with motel appartments or units. There seems to be a few about that, on the face of it, offer decent returns. I cant help but feel that there is more to it though, the old “too good to be true” cliche keeps springing to mind!

So if anyone can offer insights into this type of investment re: capital growth, hidden costs, things to be aware of, depreciation for tax purposes, or even just positive or negative experinces people may have had in the past would be tops!

Belinda and Daniel
    AKA The Pups

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I agree with the too good to be true feeling.

you need a bigger deposit, get a higher rate and the demand isn’t there for resale.

Same with studio apartments under 50sqm, purpose built student accm and retirement homes.

Stick with normal residential dwellings or straight commercial and you wont go wrong.

These things sell on a higher yeild for a reason…

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Dave LDave L
    @dave-l

Hi Pups
    I have recently purchased an appartment which gives me the option of having it managed by a company or renting/ living in it myself. Returns are guaranteed 6.5% for two years if you have it managed no guarantee if you dont of course. Paying interest at 6.72% plus about $3000 to corp body, rates, sinking fund etc does not make it a real attractive investment, take into account good depreciation for the first few years and still not so good. The reason i bought was its in a good location near the city and harbour close to good restaurants at a very reasonable price and the fact I can manage it myself if I choose. The LVR was 65% as it was 48sqm but it had some nice park views and I felt it might be a good long term investment. Just one of those gut instinct things.

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.