All Topics / Help Needed! / HELP! Some possible suggestions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Sadie6000Sadie6000
    @sadie6000

Hi,

I bought my first investment property about 15 months ago in a rural town in NSW (approx 30K population). The property itself was only about 5 months old.

Although I did complete due diligence I ulitmately paid retail not wholesale prices for the property as i recently got it re valued and it had dropped about $25K in value due to the slowing of the market in that area. I have had no problems at renting the property out, in fact I have had only one week of it being vacant between tenants.

The only real value I could add to the place would be to put a roof over the back patio.

My problem is, although I have learnt after the fact, I would like to continue my property investing but can’t use any of the equity in my place to move ahead. At present I do not have the funds to purchase another property.

Should I sell and take the loss or hold and hope? As that is what it feels like I am doing.

Unfortunately I have learnt the hard way but age is on my side so I feel I can overcome this problem as long as I make sure I eliminate these silly mistakes.

Look forward to your wise suggestions.

Cheers
    The new investor

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Sadie

It may not be necessary to sell your IP at a loss. It could be possible to sell it with vendor finance which may allow you to sell at “your” price and generate positive cashflow while the purchasers (wrapees) use your vendor finance.

Here are some details of two couples in a similar situation that decided to use vendor financing to sell the negatively geared properties at a profit.

S&L had been trying to sell their negatively geared IP for $290,000. This sale price would have given S&L a reasonable return but they couldn’t get an offer. We entered into a Joint Venture agreement with them to sell the property, using vendor finance. The property has been sold, using an Instalment Sales Contract (Wrap), for $315,000. While the new purchasers (wrapees) are using the Wrap contract to buy their home, S&L are making $200 per month positive cashflow. It is expected that the wrapees will refiance into a traditional mortgage in two to three years, at which point S&L will receive the remainder of the purchase price, less what the wrapees have paid off in two to three years.

V&S paid $335,000 for a unit. They owe $364,000 on it and it’s seriously negatively geared. They have had it on the market for $380,000 and have not had an inspection, let alone an offer. We have set up a JV agreement to sell this unit utilising an Instalment Sales Contract (Wrap). We are now in the process of selling the unit with the following result. V&S are selling the unit for $380,000 on a wrap and will receive $100 per month positive cashflow prior to the wrapees refinancing into a traditional mortgage down the road.

Obviously we charge for the service but, due to forum advertising considerations, we won’t go into that here.

May I suggest you start researching some vendor financing techniques. They may just save you from a large loss.

Good luck.

Cheers, Paul

Paul & Karen Dobson

negative2positive

Turn your negatively geared property into a positive cashflow investment.
    Phone: (02) 4984 9540

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of learnsharelearnshare
    @learnshare

Sound like a good suggestion Paul.
    What kind of joint venture terms you are offering of the two example cases you highlighted. Please PM me if you don’t mind.

Cheers,

Profile photo of crushercrusher
    Participant
    @crusher

Hi Sadie,

Just remember, you won’t lose unless you sell. You haven’t had the property very long. In a couple of years it could be capital growth positive. If it is a CF+ property and you have good depreciation (which you should have being so new) it may be worth holding on to for a bit longer.

It would be worth finding out a bit more about the economic drivers for the towns future. In a town that big I would be fairly confident of long term gains.

I guess if it’s holding you back from building a property portfolio in a certain time frame then it would be better to cut your losses and start again but you would have a fair bit to make up. Depending on your financial situation, there could be some tax advantages in making a capital loss though. It would be worth talking to a good (property savvy) accountant about this whole situation.

Todd Burns
    http://www.freepropertyhelp.com.au

Profile photo of Sadie6000Sadie6000
    @sadie6000

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your responses, it has certainly given me some thing to think about, particularly with regards to what my long term property investing goal is.

Regards,
    Sadie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.