All Topics / Value Adding / Council Development Guidelines

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of sparky01sparky01
    @sparky01

Hi all,

I have been doing some research with the local Council in an area of Queensland where I am thinking of staging my first small scale development.

(Please note that I am still learning the process and wont be starting anything for at least another 6 months while i gain more knoledge networking.)

Upon reading the “Development Design Planning Scheme Policy” (ie, councils guidelines for development applications 200+ pages)for that particular council i was overwhelmed with all the various considerations that they take into account when approving DA.

Is this the job of the Architecht to design the DA (Enviromental Assesment reports, Plans and Drawings) in accordance with these guidelines?

I mean now that i have read it i have a very general scope of what the council wants but is that good enough?

Also dose an Architecht work with any other people to get the DA done and if so, who? Do i need to arrange these people or is it generally included as part of their service.

I guess my main question is What is the job of the Architech in getting a concept from me through to the end result of DA approval?

Thanks allot for any answers [cap]

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

Sparky

An architect is a just like a hammer in your toolbox. Along with a surveyor, town planner, drafts person, consulting engineer (hydrolic, structural ect), landscape architect and the list goes on.

In engaging an architect they ought to be able to pull a team together to assist you in achieving your vision. Of course they can then complete the construction drawings, put it out to tender and then supervise the job to completion. It all comes at a cost, usually % based.

My architect mates reckon they are good value (then why are only 5% of all jobs architect designed?), my developer and builder clients reckon they are tossers and a waste of money, either way you ought to talk to both types (architects and turnkey type builders) to see which suits you and the specific job best.

regards

Tony

Profile photo of sparky01sparky01
    @sparky01

Thanks Tony for that insight (very helpful)

You mention the other option of using a builder, what would be different? Is this one of many alternatives to using an architecht? If so what are some others?

What are some of the other ways people out there get DA’s without solely relying on an architecht?

Is there any builders / architechts out there who can give any insights / experiences as to what to look for when selecting advisors for my toolbox? [cap]

Profile photo of BattleshipsBattleships
    Participant
    @battleships

Hi Sparky

I would think a town planner would be your first port of call for a DA- either a paid one or you can probably get some insights from the council’s planning dept if they are big enough to have one.

hope this helps
    Cheers
    [exhappy]

Profile photo of ptnptn
    Participant
    @ptn

My advice is to copy what other has done around your area. Can you afford to make mistake? IE. plans that no body like?
    If you’re in to make money, than do what other has already done and proven successful; chances are they hired expensive architecture to draw it up anyway. Check the local real estate (all of them) and focus on new / sub division plans. Get the idea and get yourself a draftman to mimic the plan. Cheap, effective way. Further more, the council has plans with simmilar interest that has already been approved. You can buy it for $35 per A1 Sheet or $25 per set of A3 sheets.

Good luck.
    ptn

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Be very aware of copyright laws if you intend to just “copy” what has already been done around you,

Tools

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    An architect is a specific and highly educated professional, they may be more than is needed. Building designers are another profession more usually associated with small development works. They work with builders, serveyors (they may be surveyors themselves) and councils to get approvals.

In order to call yourself an “architect” you need to have completed a uni degree of usually 4-6 years in length. As a result they usually charge more and prefer to work on more creative / important / expensive jobs. A block of 4 town houses / units may be low on their list of preferences unless they get creative freedom for interpretation etc… I’d recommend a building designer (they also copmlete a degree, though it is shorter and they combine it with experience) as it may likely be cheaper and they will likely have the correct “level” of connections in the industry. (ie connections with builders and trades involved in building smaller developments rather than 20 storey office buildings).

Just my brain’s production.

Surrey. (ps: my wife and I are currently studying to be building designers)[biggrin]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.