All Topics / Help Needed! / Why Big Business Don’t Buy Premises?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Could some of you smart people on here give me a list of reasons why medium to large businesses do not purchase their own place of residence . OK , I know all the obvious answers such as : can’t afford it , ties up working capital , business may need to relocate etc etc . Even so it just doesn’t make sense much of the time . Especially in the capital cities . Why fork out a fortune on a lease when you could invest and reap the benefits . Just doesn’t make sense….

I,m thinking along the lines of McDonalds or the Catholic church , dare I say it..

So come on , what am I missing here ? [weird]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Because ultimately the accountants run the show. Have a squizz at the Balance Sheets of major companies and the “Property, Plant and Equipment” line. They are forever trying to get these down to a minimum. It’s a non-current asset.

I’m not saying it makes any sense at all, and it’s only been trendy for the past couple of decades……probably copying the latest trends from the US. I don’t agree with their philosophy at all, and think it creates a marvellous foundation for the company to grow further…..just as Ray Kroc does with his McDonalds. In fact, he was quoted once as saying he isn’t in the burger business, that just keeps the tills ticking over, he’s into the real estate business (the dirt underneath the restaurants) and that’s where he makes most of his dosh in the longer term, by owning very valuable (usually corner lots) in most CBD’s around the world.

Also remember, leasing is a direct input cost, and therefore fully tax deductible, which is a long way removed from the mindset of most renters, which feel the pain of paying rent every time from there after tax back pocket.

Also, if your business is able to sustain 20 or 30% growth year in year out, it stands to reason you don’t want to expose your cash to a market – real estate – that albeit does increase, doesn’t necessarily go up consistently as well……everything in business is comparative. Good is only good if compared to something average. Good compared to outstanding is not good…..follow ?? [eh]

In summary, the ‘obvious reasons’ you listed initially are the reasons…..there’s a reason why they are obvious.

One last thing…..I don’t know about your experiences, but I’m finding currently buying large industrial sites, my stiffest competition are always the owner operators, not the investors….and more specifically it’s usually te operator from next door who has a strategic reason to purchase the site next door and is therefore prepared to go higher to get it.

Profile photo of JarrahJarrah
    @jarrah

Another doozy from Dazz, does da man ever rest!!!

Kodak were pretty happy to shed 600 off their disposable liabilities (people not film cameras!) in a cut and run buffered by the “fact” the industry is diving in an attempt to make up ground against digital dreaming…

$57M is a pretty good reason to rack off 600 priceless employees; that’s what their site in Melbourne was/is worth and its more than 10 k’s out… (BUGGER! Have I just let my deal of the century out of the bag AND wiped the floor with our resident analyst/nemesis!!)

Dazz, dear, if we’re headed down that road mate (and we “bloody well are”, the yanks waited 15 years for their mate to come in and break the office term record!), shouldn’t we all be heading out and buying corner blocks, I mean, I’m looking at how many MceeDee’s there are in NYC and I see moolah on EVERY CORNER, DUDE!!

Oh yeh and that biggest of big Soulless Corporations, the mighty Ford Mtr. Co. (why oh why do “we” quote Henry, surely relating his actions or lack of them to any business move is as good as giving the kiss of death!?) perpetually hints of exiting its 1% (to global) exercise in cash cowing by pulling out of Geelong, “Home of the Falcon Ute”, would that see a boom or bust for that tidy little town? A huge release of property or a dive in the economy?

To quote Bono, “victim or a vampire, depends on who’s around?”

“ask and you shall recieve”

Sincerely, Jarrah

++CASH FLOW PROPERTY HUNTER
    (your not hunting if your not hungry)

[email protected]
    Climbing & Consulting
    Arboricultural Services

“be ye angels?”,
    “nay we are but MEN!”

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Hmmm…. some very good points mentioned . I really don’t get why business should think for a minute they should be following any US trend however .

Yes to me it would seem a marvellous opportunity for a company to grow further , after all realestate is so useful when chasing finance to fund expansion etc .

I can relate to my own experience as a framer over the years I have been able to buy my neighbours out and continually grow my asset base to leverage and diversify in residential and now industrial etc . Sort of like a gold mine really [biggrin]

Don’t think I’d make much of a tenant somehow [comp]

Profile photo of JarrahJarrah
    @jarrah

Because anything else half way western does…

Because sheep follow the flock…

“ask and you shall recieve”

Sincerely, Jarrah

++CASH FLOW PROPERTY HUNTER
    (your not hunting if your not hungry)

[email protected]
    Climbing & Consulting
    Arboricultural Services

“be ye angels?”,
    “nay we are but MEN!”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.