All Topics / Value Adding / Awkward Shaped Block

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

I have found a potential development site. It is almost triangular and could be divided down the middle. Size is OK by council for subdividing.

However, in trying to make best use of the land, I have come up with a problem. One of the rooms may end up without an outside wall. I can make this a bathroom or similar, and I could ensure a skylight will give the required natural light if that will get it across the line but I would like to know what is possible before I go any further.

Where in the building code will I find the requirements for this?

I would prefer to have a reasonable idea of what is achievable before I spend money on an architect/draftsman to get something I can take to council for their preliminary approval.

Has anyone else come up with this problem and how did you solve it?

What else should I look out for?

Margaret

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Hello Mum

I have a triangular shaped block which is a battle axe block at the back of an IP that I own in a Vic regional town .

It’s not that big but I looked at building a small unit on it a few years ago after I bought it and took a builder friend around for a look and did some sums and decided against it for the time being .

Do you know a good builder that could look at the block and give some good practical advise before you go and spend a heap on an architect?

Not sure what you mean about the outside wall….

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

Hi Pursefattener

Having one wall of a room part of the outside wall of the house means you can put window in for ventilation and light. Without this, there has to be some other provision to get light and ventilation required by the building code.

That is what I meant. I hope this is clearer.

Margaret

Profile photo of CDCD
    Participant
    @cd

Have you considered a small courtyard? Maybe an L – shaped house?
    Of course it depends on the size of the block. Having just been through the process of finding a floor plan to fit on a wedge shaped block with a quite restrictive size covenant I appreciate the difficulty.
    For the amusement factor, talking about awkward shaped blocks:
    http://www.reiwa.com.au/Lst/Lst-LandSale-List.cfm?PageUUID=PROD_3902339_8890ad884b640b6-F14E85D2-1143-5AC2-6E5F15552D0F881E-13-Mar-2006-09:53:17:937&Action=SEARCH
    [crying]

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

A friend of mine has just built a house (inner-city) right to the boundaries of the block on either side – without any windows at all and it looks fantastic. They are all in the roof. He has a 600mm clear glass panel along the whole length of each room in the ceiling at the join to the wall, and the family room at the back has a complete glass ceiling. The whole house is built out of concrete and I thought it would look cold anddark but I am totally amazed how light it is and you don’t even miss windows.

Fern

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

Sorry, you were asking if its possible. I think it has something to do with the amount of light coming in. I’m sure your local council would be able to tell you building regulations requirements, or a local draftsman

Fern

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

What you are proposing is possible in Victoria.As long as you provide the right amount of natural light,and the required number of room changes per hour for ventilation,then it is ok.I have a semi detached edwardian house that has numerous rooms without an external wall.Skylights take care of both the light and ventilation factrors,as I have used Velux roof windows.They are expensive,but worth the money.

Tools

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.