All Topics / Help Needed! / Paying No Stamp Duty ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I was recently in a real estate agency enquiring about a property.

It was a common old rentable three bedroom property; the agent bought out these plans and said it has two planning permits approved by council.

I said to him what is the benefit of buying a property with plans already approved why does not the person that made the plan going ahead with it?

His reply was something vague like “it saves you time doing it”. It’s an answer that didn’t really even give me any reason to think that the property was worth buying because of this?

I asked my teacher yesterday. Why do people sell properties with also a plan to build units or houses with them? And why don’t they build them themselves?

He said it’s because you then don’t have to pay any Stamp Duty.

To try to get more clarity on this, if I bought a property that had Council Approval to build units or house(s). Do I pay no stamp duty? But then if I buy it and decide not to build and instead 6 months down the track indeed don’t build then will I still own the property (the old existing house) and have payed no stamp duty?

What’s the deal on this?

Interested in Joint Venture Reno Projects

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Almost Jaffa,

If you buy land for $100K you pay SD on that amount.

If you then build 10 units you get them at cost price.

Land plus units = a property worth $2M but you only paid SD on the initial $100K.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

It was a good try.

I see so the next person that comes along and buys your 2M units will pay $110,000 stamp duty(Vic).

Interested in Joint Venture Reno Projects

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

yep

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.