All Topics / Value Adding / Renovating Small Bathrooms…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of samantha.wallacesamantha.wallace
    @samantha.wallace

Hi!

I have recently purchased a house (highset post-war). The bathroom is in ok condition but dated.

I am wanting to replace the bathroom shortly but have one problem. The space is fairly small and needs to fit in the toilet, bath, shower & basin. Currently it has a shower over the bath, which I hate and am hoping to seperate the two.

Has anyone renovated a small bathroom and managed to fit in everything in a tasteful manner? Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

[biggrin]

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Hi Samantha,

The shower may need to stay over the bath otherwsie it may make it even more cramped by trying to fit both in separately. What we did in one house though was had Roman Bath built and have the shower over that, that way it had a flat floor for standing in (unlike normal baths) and it still allowed families to be able to bath children somewhere. We only went about three bricks high so it wasn’t really deep and therefore easy to step into, plus you can then fit a glass screen to it too rather than a curtain.

If you do a screen then check standard screen sizes before building the Roman bath, it’s cheaper to buy the standard size screens then have to have one specially made. We ended up putting a screen on one side only and then a curtain on the other as we didn’t check the size first, if we had off we would have made one side of the Roman bath smaller than we did to fit a standard screen with door.

Good Luck

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Have a look at the “Decina” bath range. We once used a small flat bottomed bath which was wider at one end to allow a shower and then had a glass pivot door installed by “Stegbar”. With a modern flick mixer it looked very trendy indeed.
    We had a similar situation at home but instead we used a large corner flat bottomed bath fully encased with a glass cubicle and pivot door. I think it cost around $1100 and is perfect for our kids. I can fit our youngest two in together and saves water wastage.
    Can the toilet be moved in to the laundry ?
    If you’d like some photo’s just send your email via PM
    Good luck

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of apac7623apac7623
    Participant
    @apac7623

Hi Samantha
    Saw your question about Bathroom reno. I have renovated two bathrooms in the properties I have. Sounds like you dislike shower heads in baths. The area of the bathroom, as well the present structure and fixtures including plumbing needs to be considered, unless you are handy enough to change all this without the cost of getting a plumber in. A suggestion would be to use what space you have by reducing the size of the fixtures. Corner bath instead of a long bath smaller vanity, etc. Hope this helps

Andrew

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Had the exact same setup. Bath with shower, toilet, vanity and laundry all in a small bathroom.

We decided space was better so removed the bath tub and installed a single sheet of glass (clear) with no door. Looks great.

Note the plumbing issues. Our drain pipe was 5cm above the ground and we could not lower it so we had to build the shower base up.

Also with bath/shower config the taps may be lower than you want and the shower may not face the way you want or be the right height. We accepted the low taps but solved the shower bit by buying a detachable shower head on a vertical rail. So we can adjust the height and also makes cleaning easy!

Good luck

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

You could also consider pinching a bit of space from the laundry if is next door – the shower could sit in the laundry with the door level with the bathroom wall or the same with a bedroom with a full wall of wardrobes. Pinch half the length of the wardrobe to make an alcove for the bath to sit in

Fern

Profile photo of samantha.wallacesamantha.wallace
    @samantha.wallace

Thank you everybody! All comments are greatly appreciated. I like the sound of the glass screen instead of shower curtains. The bath/shower combination isn’t sounding so terrible after all.

Some of you suggested using the laundry to free up some space in the small bathroom. I’m going to consider putting the toilet in the laundry!!

As for everything else… does anybody have any handy suggestions/comments regarding costs of renovating bathrooms?

Thanks again [hair2]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.