All Topics / Help Needed! / Melbourne – Eastlink & its impact on IPs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of svermasverma
    @sverma

Hi everybody,

My wife & I have been thinking of jumping into the ocean of IP. We have been looking around the Noble Park, Frankston, Hampton Park sort of areas.

I would be interested to hear from the forum…..
    your thoughts on the Eastlink coming up & its impact on capital growth in the surrounding suburbs
    What could potentially be the growth suburbs
    Given our situation, we are not looking at anything over 250K.
    Most of what we have seen are usually properties that are about 25 yrs old & hence insignificant depriciation benefits.

Does the buy property on big block, rent out the current property, hold for a few years, subdivide & sell formula still work?

So many questions…..

SID

Profile photo of shake-the-diseaseshake-the-disease
    @shake-the-disease

Eastlink will have a positive impact, but IMHO just one factor is not enough to drive growth by itself.

The Geelong road upgrade is a good example. This upgrade + the Melbourne boom rippling out + the Geelong waterfront upgrade all were factors in the growth. Of those the most important IMHO was the Melbourne growth.

Given where we are in the cycle, I can see outer suburbs doing it tough growth-wise for quite a few years to come. This one upgrade is not enough on its own to push the market ahead in a significant or sustained way.

Profile photo of shake-the-diseaseshake-the-disease
    @shake-the-disease
    Originally posted by sverma:

Does the buy property on big block, rent out the current property, hold for a few years, subdivide & sell formula still work?

I forgot to answer this.

My answer is YES!! Or at least I hope so, I’m just about to settle on just such a property. [biggrin]

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

I would think that Frankston will be the biggest winner from the new freeway. It has already started to grow and has the beach as a major attraction.

Regards
    Alistair Perry

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

I agree with Alistair

Frankston will be the big winner becuase of other infrastructure upgrades occurring as well as the freeway, such as the shopping centre , new apartment buildings, marina.

I owuld steer clear of Noble Park and hampton Park.

even in Frankston you must know your areas well as the new city plan has meant that some areas are earmerked for development and there are some areas in which it will be difficult to undertake development.

” Does the buy property on big block, rent out the current property, hold for a few years, subdivide & sell formula still work?”

We have bought 6 properties in Frankston just like this for clients in the last year.

As I said you must understand the new town planning regulations because it does not work throughout Frankston. But choose the right locations and you are likely to do well

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 11,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

micheal …what is going on

Frankston North is a pretty rough area and unlikley to change.
    I would not invest there, I think I could find better areas
    Its just not a great strategy for long term wealth

in one post

and then here
    Frankston will be the big winner…. We have bought 6 properties in Frankston just like this for clients in the last year.

theres only a k or 2, between North frankston and Frankston…

what are you trying to say????

Profile photo of muldermulder
    @mulder

Hi all,

We bought in North Frankston end of last year. Sure the area may not be so desirable but people still need somewhere to live. Given that the Frankston area is only approx 40km from city, on the coast, and the new freeway making travel time shorter, I am taking a “calculated risk” in the purchase.

My 2 cents worth is that the surrounding suburbs have increased over the last 4-5 years and there is significant commercial interest developing in the area it could be a good bet.

However Buy, rent & hold does not give the returns. You will need to be creative in structuring the deal.

Mulder

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.