All Topics / Opinionated! / The move from hell!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Well it wasnt that bad!

We moved on the weekend from Melbourne CBD to sunny Prahran. We were moving the contents of a two bedroom unit from the 33rd floor of an apartment (with elevator) to the 3rd floor of an apartment (stairs only).

Since we are office workers and don’t really like lugging fridges, washing machines, etc up stairs we engaged a removalist. The removalist quoted us 2 men and a truck (note not the company “Two men and a truck”) for $120ph – min 2 hours. Not super cheap but cheaper than some of the larger removal companies.

The day of the move.

The removalist arrived 2 hours late, due to a flat battery apparently. It was us who called them 1 hour late to ask where they were.

They arrived and man2 came out and started to help us move items into the truck. Man1 felt like coffee and so had a coffee from Hudsons (as you do when you are late and behind schedule).

There always needs to be someone stacking the truck so it appeared acceptable that man1 stayed within the truck while we helped man2 move everything from the apartment into the truck.

Arrived at destination. Man2 helped us move items into the house. Man1 was doing something in the cabin for 15 minutes. Man1 then also started helping – moving light items only. Man1 also directed us to assist man2 to move all the heavy items such as fridge, etc up the stairs.

The truck is almost empty and man1 goes back to the truck cabin for 15 minutes to work out the bill.

The move took 3 hours and so man1 wanted to charge $390 (3.15 hours to include travel time back). We asked to negotiate considering we did not really get 2 men and a truck. Man1 ignored us, went back to the truck and locked it. He said we either pay the full fare or he takes out stuff to storage and we would also have to pay for that as well.

Considering right there and then that $100 is not worth the hassle we paid and asked for a tax invoice. Man1 refused to provide tax invoice.

Man2 helped us to move the remaining items off the truck and also up the stairs. He felt sorry for us so we paid him some gratuity. I then asked to inspect the back of the truck to ensure it was actually empty, man1 refused my request and drove off.

I don’t think we did anything wrong. We did not refuse to pay but wanted to discuss the short comings of the service. Luckily there were 3 of us to help out otherwise I don’t know how man2 would have coped on his own.

So I learnt a few things.

Be sure to ask for the service. Eg we should has said “We want 2 men to help with all the heavy lifting”.
    Saving a couple of hundred dollars may not always be worth it.
    Sometimes its best to go with the big boys. Usually they are big for a reason.

This person should really be quoting “1.5 men and a truck”!

I feel much better now!

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Far out! That is wrong!!

No wonder your not happy!!

I would consider calling the department of fair trading and tax department.

That is unbelievable Matt!

We’ve got 70 yrs on planet earth,Lets make the most of every day!

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

WC beat me to it.

I would be thinking of calling both of them. Imagine what this guy would do to an older person or someone really vulnerable.

I would have proably called their bluff about taking your stuff to storage and called the police the second they tried to reenter the propery – but easy to say something like that sitting in my office on my fat bum!

At least it has left you a little wiser for next time. The biggest disaster would not have been to learn anything from it all!

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Thanks for the feedback. I know I should report him to try and stop it occuring in the future.

So Fair Trading/Consumer Affairs and Tax Office here I go.

None of us were really concerned about the money, more the principle.

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

If you want to accelerate this persons bad karma here’s a list to help get you started;

Consumer Affairs Victoria
    Fair Trading’s Complaints Department and,
    the good old ATO.

Good Luck…FL

Fast Lane- The poster formerly known as g7

Profile photo of ChoirChoir
    Participant
    @choir

Hi, there,

Thanks for sharing your moving experience with us. I thought before engaging the removalist, the most important thing to to is to ask around and get anyreferrals that you can get.

If you have a good referral, it is unlikely that these people would do a dirty trick on you. Few month ago, when we moved from a 3-bedroom apartment (top floor) to a 5-bedroom house, we asked around and got a referral from our church friends. Guess what, these people are good. They would come over to assess how much stuff to move and would provide you with a fixed price for the whole job.

I was very impressed with them as they turned up five minutes early (6:55am) and waited for me from the driveway. To my surprise, there were 6 guys (big fellows) turned up (just like an army). They started from 7:00am and didn’t stop until 1:15pm, with three truck loads of stuff. All I had to do was to surprise them where to put things. They did such an excellent job that not even a stretch on any of my furniture. The whole move costed me $900. I could not ask for any more professional job done than this.

About 2 months later, I called them and paid them $200 to move a piano and one bedroom of stuff from my in-laws’ place to our house. Another good job done considering how heavy the piano was.

I have heard a lot of horror stories about removalists. Always do you research and ask around before engaging one.

Regards
    Raymond

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

Bad service is unacceptable regardless of where, when or how.
    If we all raise our expectations the ultimate service must get better.
    There is no such thing as a standard service just an old fashioned service.

Everyone in business makes mistakes from time to time but failing to learn should be a crime.
    Same as not Looking to constantly improve your business service.
    Never let bad service become acceptable, do all that you can about it.
    This is why we must have competition; monopolies are definitely the end of the game.

1. Don’t have any work done unless it is fully quoted.
    2. Don’t have anything done by the hour.
    3. Once work has begun never renegotiate unless terms for this process have been met with in the contract and service eg the lift breaks down and the job stops then there may be an allowance for waiting on site for it to be repaired.

I employ contractors not employees, and wherever possible I pay generously to encourage exceptional service.
    I give them a fixed time to get the job done, knowing that each job can be completed in 3/4 of the time.
    The better the work they do the more work I provide in future.
    The lower the quality the less work.
    If they are quick and do a good job I have no problem if they go home a few hours early.
    I also ask contractors for feedback as they are at the coalface and its there that improvements are noticed most.

I also find looking for value with in my contractors occasionally a diamond in the rough can be found.
    On Saturday I hired a security guard on Sunday he worked as a cleaner as his knowledge and experience was exceptional.
    Today he suggested a few ways to expand the job to offer more services and thus better quality for this one client.
    He also has experience managing a cleaning business and quoting work.
    He also wants to work for another 10 to 15 years before retiring and hates security work.
    Perhaps selling my business to buy back some of my work time for investment time may not be necessary, time will tell.
    Always look for that little extra bit of service some time you will find it in the most unexpected places.
    Never be afraid to dig for that value.

In the situation you were faced with I would have gladly payed via a check and had the check cancelled before they were out of the street.
    When they get back to me in the next few days I wlll direct them to my solicitor to negotiate for a fairer price.
    Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind paying extra for good service but refuse to pay more than bad service is really worth.
    Hope this helps [angry2].

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 – 1882)

Email [email protected].
    Fax new number coming
    Mobile 0425201055.
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

hi mathewc73

life is full of experience

and occasionally you come across scumbags that just spoil your day

sadly there are unscrupulous individuals in all works of life, even in property investing
    for example…..
    We have just purchased a large house that is quite old that still has all it’s old built in appliances (stove, oven, dishwasher etc). We want to eventually replace these appliances when we intend to renovate in 3-4 years and move into the house ourselves, but for the time being, it will be a rental property. All the appliances are working.
    Considering that the appliances are so old, we’ve considered adding a clause into the tennancy agreement stating that we will be under no obligation to fix these appliances if they fail. Is this fair? I feel bad, but I also shudder at the thought of continually getting calls to fix a problem appliance….especially ones so old.

don’t you take pleasure from that bit “i feel bad”

you might have lost $100,
    but can you image your nightmare with an abhorrent landlord like THAT

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Just on removalists, has anybody ever noticed that the best ones are the little wiry guys? They just keep going all day.
    I’ve moved 3 times in the last 10 years and used the same company each time. When the guys show up, there are usually some big, good humoured Islanders and a couple of taciturn little guys. The little guys run the big guys into the ground.
    The last move took 6 guys all morning to pack the 2 trucks they needed. We had a ridiculous amount of stuff to move – there were 2,000 books alone in dozens of boxes. They laughed and joked all morning.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of ozsparky200319117ozsparky200319117
    @ozsparky200319117

Hi Matthew

Well done to everybody for being so helpful & sympathetic to your tale of woe. I am ashamed to say that because I had a <edited> day today & was quite drunk when I read it your post made me laugh a lot & feel much better. So good job other people said all the right things! Are youe allowed to mention who ‘Dodgy Brothers’ are or is it against the rules?

Sparky

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Hi all,
    Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to add your own funny stories! Im over it all now and have not yet reported them (been busy getting me commercial properties leased – almost there!).

I would like to mention them, but I dont have their card with me. Once I report them I can probably let you know. Let me just say it was an owner/operator. Not a company name.

Yep and Im one of those skinny wirely guys and I have one tip! Those big heavy queen matresses can be easily carried if wrapped in heavy duty plastic. They stick to your hands and slide over the carpet! If only I knew how much easier it was 5 moves ago!

Mat

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.