All Topics / Help Needed! / Should I buy as first home grant or as investment?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Rexilla99Rexilla99
    @rexilla99

I need advice weather I should receive the grant or buy as a investment, I have did some calculation based on 6 month living it it or 6 months and have it rented out at settlement, please let me know if I calculated it wrong.

To live in it 6 months, Price is 358,000
    Stamp Duty $3,530
    Conveyancing $675
    Body corp fees $1,350
    Rates $650
    Loan Repayments $13,680

Home Owners Grants -$7,000

Total $12,885 in out goings.

To rent it out and buy as investment. ( rent is based on $600 a week furnished.)
    Stamp Duty $11,005
    Conveyancing $675
    Body corp fees $1,350
    Rates $650
    Management fees $1,296
    Loan Repayments $13,680

Rental Income -$14,400

Total $14,256 in out goings.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Rexilla,

The rental income seems high if it is for 6 months. For the second scenario have you taken into account possible tax deductions?

Regards
    Alistair Perry

Profile photo of Rexilla99Rexilla99
    @rexilla99

No I havent yet, do you mean tax deduction on the building? or something else?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I think rexilla may be refering to the cost of borrowing which can be claimed over a certain time period. You need to check with an accountant. Also if you pay interest on the loan, council rates and water you can reduce your total income. If the interest and costs like insurance, rates, water are greater than the rent you can reduce other income you earn – this is known as negative gearing. If you are positive geared the expenses will reduce your tax liability as they were expenses incurred to earn the rental income. If the building is new you may be able to claim building depreciation check this out with an accountant or visit http://www.ato.gov.au.

Profile photo of cbellesinicbellesini
    Participant
    @cbellesini

Things to consider
    Could you live in the house for 6 months as well as renting rooms to friends?
    It seems in Qld you have a much bigger stamp duty advantage by buying a PPOR balancing out rental income earnt in scenario 2. It really depend son your stragegy and if you can see a use for the FHBG further down the track

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.