All Topics / Help Needed! / Obligation to fix built in appliances…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of CrownOfGoldCrownOfGold
    Participant
    @crownofgold

Hi all!

I was hoping others with more experience could put forward their views on this trivial question.

My husband and I have just purchased a large family home that is quite old (built in 1980) that still has all it’s old built in appliances (stove, oven, dishwasher etc). We want to eventually replace these appliances when we intend to renovate in 3-4 years and move into the house ourselves, but for the time being, it will be a rental property. All the appliances are working.

Considering that the appliances are so old, we’ve considered adding a clause into the tennancy agreement stating that we will be under no obligation to fix these appliances if they fail. Is this fair? I feel bad, but I also shudder at the thought of continually getting calls to fix a problem appliance….especially ones so old. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and have placed these clauses into a rental agreement?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

We have just bought an IP and a fridge was left in the house. It is in fair to good condition, but we have added to the lease that should it fail, we will not be replacing it.

Fridges, however, are not usually part of an unfurnished house and in your case, say the oven fails, you cannot expect someone to live there without an oven or cooktop. You would have to replace it, even with a working second hand one.

Dishwasher you could get away with, because many houses don’t have one. I would suggest that you add to the lease that if it fails, the rent will decrease by $5 per week. You could just say it will not be replaced, but I think you would be limiting your market by saying that.

Just my thoughts, Wylie.

Profile photo of hbhb
    @hb

hi crownofgold
    it might pay to read “The Residential tenancies Act” of your local state.
    you will probably find a clause similar to :
    Damage and repairs
    123A Meaning of emergency repairs
    Emergency repairs are works needed to repair any of the
    following—
    (a) a burst water service;
    (b) a blocked or broken lavatory system;
    (c) a serious roof leak;
    (d) a gas leak;
    (e) a dangerous electrical fault;
    (f) flooding or serious flood damage;
    (g) serious storm, fire or impact damage;
    (h) a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water
    supply to premises;
    (i) a failure or breakdown of an essential service or
    appliance on premises for hot water, cooking or heating;
    (j) a fault or damage that makes premises unsafe or
    insecure;
    (k) a fault or damage likely to injure a person, damage
    property or unduly inconvenience a resident of
    premises;

i think(i) will answer you question………

the reason we as a community (government) introduce laws is because someone hasn’t done the right thing….
    do we want the “act” to keep growing to protect people, or should we take responsiblity ourselves?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.