All Topics / Help Needed! / My first plan of acquisition

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of hiflohiflo
    @hiflo

Hi

I have been a member of this forum for about 6 months and been doing lots of reading on and off the line trying to establish a strategy of acquiring property and making money from property.

I have never purchased property in my name before and would like to take advantage of FHOG plus the stamp duty exemption for NSW purchasers. The reason why I have decided to buy PPOR and live in it for 6 months instead of buying IP first is because:

1. to take advantage of government scheme; esp stamp duty exemption;

2. I don’t feel I have enough confidence buying property without seeing and right now I feel it’s more important to spend more time improving my career prospect so that I can increase my serviceability.

3. Let my money work since I have deposit which is sitting in an internet account earning 5.7%, which is probably being eaten up by tax and inflation.

Since I would have to live in the property for 6 months my first property purchase is going to happen in Sydney. Then I would rent it out and refinance or sell before the 6 years is up to avoid paying capital gains tax.

Because I am a beginner and have never renovated or subdivided before, I thought the best strategy for me is to acquire the property and get into renovating and subdividing later on when I have more knowledge about council, building materials, renovating etc….

In the mean time while I research research for potential principal place of residence as well as concentrate on my career I pay back my loan as fast as I can, with a little help from my parents.

Do you think my strategy for first couple years is OK or do you think I should forgo the stamp duty exemption and jump into IP for cash flow? If there is an opportunity of making more than the stamp duty exemption in the first year I guess this would be the way to go, but otherwise I don’t think it is wise to give up stamp duty exemption because I am on such low income.

Do you think I am rushing too much? What I am currently doing is an area search in Sydney, with infrastructures that would attract potential tenants and past history of capital gains. I am also calling agents, and going to open houses to check the location of properties.

I have also seen a mortgage broker re finance, and know how much I can borrow, even though when it comes to borrowing the actual amount it may be another question. [thumbsdownanim

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi,

Your strategy sounds very sound, except that if youn are planning on turning the property into an investment property you should no pay down the loan. Using an interest only loan with a 100% offset account will do the same thing in terms of your interest charges, but will give you added flexibility and will also save you money when you come to purchase another PPOR in the future.

Regards
    Alistair Perry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.