All Topics / Legal & Accounting / How does one justify to ATO

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi all

If you have a PPOR Loan with Offset a/c…eg. $200000 loan.. plus
    offset account (wages go into offset account).

Then you have say a IP loan……..$220000 loan..Interest only.

Say you have set up a LOC from the equity in you PPOR and this is dedicated to Investment purposes. The interest on the LOC is TAX DEDUCTIBLE.

The question is, does it matter where the rent goes from the IP rental.

have heard different views on this.

Some have said it should go into the IP LOC investment account. As it it is income from the investment

Others, its ok for it to go into the Personal offset account to PPOR.(Pay down PPOR quicker) IP Income can go wherever you want it too.

Lets assume its the latter how do you explain to the ATO if questioned that you are not trying to increase your tax deduction by the rent going into the PPOR offset account and the balance on the Investment LOC is growing and so the interest bill is greater.
    I am not suggesting captilizing interest on interest.

I’m saying the investment LOC pays the IP loan interest and IP expenses and each month the interest is paid on that IP LOC.
    From Offset account.

Accountant suggests that its safer to do it the first way, if audited ATO are more likely to not hassle one so much.

Cheers
    SG

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways Beer in one hand – Pizza in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO!”

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

SG

the easiest way to gain the certainty you are after is to apply for a private ruling from the ATO. These are quick and easy to do. And you have it in writing should get an audit at a later date.

Regards

Tony

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi Tony

Thanks for that yes that is certainly an option. I would’ve thought it would’ve been farily common if it was ok to do.

I suspect it is ok as long as the interest on the balance of the IP LOC is paid every month.

The thing that i see is that the ATO could say why is your rent going into your offset to your PPOR and not your IP LOC.

cheers
    SG

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways Beer in one hand – Pizza in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO!”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.