All Topics / Help Needed! / Borrow triple for block of 4 units? Or a house?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of salgsalg
    @salg

What would seem like the better option to you:

1. Borrow $600K for a brick block of 4, 1 bedroom lowset units with carport on about 800sqm land in a growing area close to everything (including water, about 5-10min walk)? The current rental income is $600/week. I may need some guarantor from parents for deposit on this one. If I keep them rented I can make up the payments.

2. Borrow $250K (approx) and buy a 3 bed house on small block of land – possibly borrow up to $300K with rental income taken into account. Rental income anything from $180-$290 at a guess, depending on which property.

I do not have a lot of money saved but am desperate to get into the market – I know units are cheaper, but I think the land value long term would have better capital gain, which is why this block of units seems interesting…. Also I have the possibility of living in 1 and renting others if I need to? But they are 1 bedroom units which is not the best is it – harder to rent?

I have no idea which is best – I have been looking around for about 5 years, but only had ability to buy in last 2. Would really love to start this year!

Thanks for your help.
    sal

Profile photo of jjaausjjaaus
    @jjaaus

Sal,

Quick calculations

Units (4) $600k vs $600 pw rental, return 5.2% gross
    Units (3) $600k vs $450 pw rental, return 3.9% (you live in 1)
    House $250k vs $180 pw rental, return 3.7% gross
    House $250k vs $290 pw rental, return 6.0% gross

On the numbers if you can find a property for $250k and obtain $290 pw rental income this would be your best bet.

You need to decide what is the purpose you intend to invest.

I have several one bedroom units, they are ideal for single people and / or students, in this instance I believe proximately to public transport is important. I have no trouble with sourcing tenants for one bedroom units. Having said that I believe it is easier to see 2+ bedrooms than 1.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jeff Aquilina

Need a holiday? http://www.coralsearesort.com email me [email protected] 20% DISCOUNT for PropertyInvesting.com members

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

$600K also seems a big first step, especially for someone who appears (from your post) to be a first timer with limited funds.

I recomment starting with something less complex and work from there.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.