All Topics / General Property / New House & Land Packages – Misconception?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

Hi All

I’m a basic investor with 2 IPs, looking for my 3rd.

In the past I’ve have a (personal) perception that new house and land packages are not good value as there is a premium for “new”, therefore my existing IP’s are established houses.

However now the reality of high maintenance costs is beginning to bite. I’m questioning my assumptions about new properties. I think I’m making a basic mistake by “assuming” that a house would be cheaper “second hand”, if that makes sense to anyone

I know that’s a very broad generalisation, but anyone have any comments?

Would a “new home” value drop after say a couple of years just due to the fact that it’s “pre owned”?

Asking on the basis that the only dumb question is the one unasked…

[confused]

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

great question. you need to look at a h&l proposal and compare it to existing stock to see if it is value for money. yes new properties may go backwards in price a little for a couple of years, but if you have made an upfront immediate capital gain on completion then you need to consider the 2 in context. in a rising market such as WA where you would probably be looking (if you can find a package available somewhere) then it is unlikely that it will retreat and the cap growth will continue forwards anyway. there is IMO too many variables to answer this question simply. I reckon if you make an immdeiate cap gain then it must be good. after that you are at the mercy of the markets. so if you are in a good market you will be fine, with a house that has higher depcn write offs and hopefully less maintenance.

of course the prob with h&l is that you are exposed to the buildign delays and with trade shortages as they are you may be better off just buying somehting off the plan and let someone else deal with the headaches. when you go to settle you may have enough equity to not have to put any cash into the deal.

http://www.megapropertygroup.com

INVESTMENT SALES * RENTAL SOLUTIONS * STRATA MANAGEMENT

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

me thinks biggest prob with house and land packages lies in two areas, 1. location, 2. suitability of development in the location.

if end product is well located and is a suitable style of development for the local area, then at worst, you face a flat market for a year or two.

if the end product exceeds the expectations of the market, then you have immediate realisable growth.

unfortunately MOST house and land packages are located in outer growth corridors and often designs are focused on end price rather than amenity to end users. this is a problem – you end up with mass produced bv&t trash, nonchalantly boasting 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms but precious little else (ie. public transport, jobs, schools, parks, significant shopping facilities, general social infrastructure)

or, worse still, 2 bed 2 level townhouses 37 k’s from the cbd….classic missmatch..but much cheaper than the ones 3km from the cbd…mmmmm…wonder why???

final comment, developers like to build into the purchase price the exact equivalent of $$$ you claim as depreciation in the early years of owning your investment property. Why? Because they can. Investors keep buying the new stock and therefore the developers thought process is validated as is there bank balance!

cheers

brahms
    Purveyor of Fine Finances
    aka Mortgage Broker Brisbane

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Hi swampy30,

You are allowed to claim depreciation on a dwelling. The percentage rates are the same, generally speaking, but the gross dollar figures that you can claim are higher for new builds as, obviously, the physical components that make up the house are newer and therefore a larger percentage of what you pay for the title deed that the house sits upon.

There is a good reason why the Govt allows you to claim depreciation on the materials that go into making the house a house. It recognises that the components are depreciating…i.e. going DOWN in value. They allow you to claim this as they assume that one day down the track you are going to have to fork out and buy a new gadget to replace the old gadget that’s worn out.

It’s also the reason you need to give the claimable depreciation back via CGT if you sell the place and you’ve been claiming it, ‘cos you didn’t replace the ‘stuff’, and inside palmed it off to the next investor….or at least that’s my understanding of it…not 100% on that bit ??

This is pretty basic stuff and probably everyone is going….yeah…errr….derrr, but sometimes the fundamentals get tangled up with the high tech stuff.

The stuff that’s going UP is the dirt underneath. To my way of thinking, the greater percentage you can pour into this stuff, viz. better location or more of the stuff, tempered by still earning a decent income from the title, the better you are.

Hope that helped ??

Profile photo of scousescouse
    @scouse

H & L packages are great way to gain instant equity with bank. Completed 3 and able to buy 2 other extra places, looking for another. Stopped looking at H&L now cos land prices in area have risen.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Speaking from experience areas of expansion that are all basically H & L
    stall in the years following development.

May perform strongly during the build and shortly after but during the next cycle stall.

Cherrybrook in Sydney NW was a premium H & L area in 80’s. Since early 90’s many of those same houses have not doubled in price (actually very few have ). Think same for Illawaong / Menai
    in South.

Will be same for Kellyville, with some houses (less than 4 yr old ) now on the market for below replacement cost.

Yep premium for that wood and glue smell, but adjusts later.

Profile photo of MabbottMabbott
    @mabbott

so…. can someone explain to me how people in the “CAPRICORN THREAD” that’s currently going on are investing? Are they getting in and out while it all sounds great to the market and taking a profit? what i really want to know is.. what’s the risk in buying land in a new development being offered

thanks

P.S i can’t wait for the day when i can answer a Q rather than ask one[blink]

still don’t know what i don’t know

Profile photo of asdfasdf
    Participant
    @asdf

We all have to start somewhere mate. Guys in Capricorn (lucky devils) have got on at ground level, banking on this WA market continuing to do well in the next couple of years so when it comes time to settle next year, land will already be worth what they paid for + profits. Decision is yours whether you want to take that risk like purchasing OTP. However note that these guys are NOT first time investors so they must have all done their due diligence. If I lived in Perth, would’ve driven up there to reserve one too but you have to weigh it up yourself: building costs would be higher this time next year plus another 6-8 months to build or maybe longer with no rent to support and if the WA market stalls in 07, you will be left with very little equity to make up for it. The Capricorn development is unique in that the developers won’t allow you to flip the block so investors will have to be in it till house is built.

From what GMH454 is saying, the stalling could easily occur in WA too. Thise who have made $ are those who got in early and took a punt on the estate doing well in future. Most of these older estates have been around for a few years but it wasn’t until the last couple of years that prices have gone crazy as land becomes scarce.

So in answering your question of what the risks are – at this current cycle, plentiful. Land is getting very expensive and so are building costs. Rents will barely cover your holding costs even after depreciation benefits. So you want this market to keep powering along if you were to take on a H&L project. Research the estate as theres no shortage of land in WA. At the end of the day, you’ll just have to take a punt like the rest of us. Good luck.

Profile photo of MabbottMabbott
    @mabbott

thanks asdf, do councils make public future areas that are being planned as new developments so you can track the number of blocks that will be available in say 6 months??
    And if they say they have plans to extend a road or build a shopping centre, school etc, is any of that concrete or just words?
    Just trying to put together what would constitute due dilligence for this in my mind.

still don’t know what i don’t know

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    The posts above contain lots of good stuff. I’ll add:

1. H&L packs have a much lower stamp duty as you only pay for the land component.
    eg: I bought a H&L for a combined $260k and saved about $13k in stamp duty because the land was only $87k
    2. On the otherhand, while maintenance costs are basically nill there are a whole slew of extra “hidden” costs: driveway cross-over, landscaping, holding costs during build, letterbox, numbers for your letterbox, cleaner for before tenents move in etc…

It can be a bit of a gamble in that if you get in really early (pre-release) you can take the initial surge of cap gain when the estate takes off in later stages or… it may not take off and you have to wait 10-15 years before the area is sufficiently developed to be attaractive as an established house.

The house I mentioned above was bought with a 10-15 year timescale in mind while also buying in pre-release. Time will tell how good an investment it is.
    Surrey.

Profile photo of angiepangiep
    Participant
    @angiep

Mabbott

To increase the possibility of a successful investment it is vital that one does as much homework & research as possible. If you are thinking of buying into the Capricorn development for investment reasons or the likes, please take a drive to the local shire and talk to their planner. There is a world of valuable information available to you.

We did a lot of research before buying our block and are planning to buy more soon.

Regards,
    PC

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

“Research the estate as theres no shortage of land in WA”

Hi asdf… I thought about this comment as I was walking down the beach tonight without a soul around me. I was thinking that beachfront land really isn’t scarce in Oz, after all there’s millions of miles of the stuff in this country. The key thing is – how much of it is accessable and serviced ready to build on? WA is a vast state, but love nor money won’t find you a titled block at present, nor the foreseeable future.

http://www.megapropertygroup.com

INVESTMENT SALES * RENTAL SOLUTIONS * STRATA MANAGEMENT

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.