All Topics / Help Needed! / Vacant Posession – Any Knowledge anyone?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of PsychiatristPsychiatrist
    @psychiatrist

Does any one know what the laws are with abandoned old houses? Can one obtain this house at all? If so how?

I have heard you can get them, for free.

[baaa]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling
    Can one obtain this house at all?

When you say the house…surely you mean just the building ??

Obviously someone’s name will be on the title as the registered proprietor for the dirt, so that’s off limits….or it is to the best of my knowledge.

Spend $ 9.00 doing a title search for the owner of the dirt, give them a call and find out if they are happy for you to take their dilapidated rambling hovel. They’ll probably welcome you with open arms, as you are saving them all of the demolition costs…but then, what would you want with it ??

Profile photo of reelygood1reelygood1
    Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi,
    You can contact the local council in writing and advise them you will be taking adverse possession and will pay any rates owing, plus address all future rates to you from now on, most likely rates will be owing if abandoned and the council will be happy to have some money paid.

These are properties that go to auction for arrears in rates, You then take possession of the property and hope that the owner does not come back for 12 – 30 years depending on which state you live in.
    You should keep all records, for when you apply in the future for title, you can even rent the house out for income. No one else can take possession of the property, only the owner.
    If the owner comes back before the time allowed for possession, you have no legal right to the property. You may be entitled to a refund from the owner for rates paid, but that is all.
    Situations like this are rare, but do happen and the person taking possession acts as if they are the owner.
    As always you should seek legal advice, but I know what most solicitors would advise.

Hope this helps.
    Don

djr

Profile photo of coreyjaycoreyjay
    Participant
    @coreyjay

Our council gives us that information for free just lucky i guess

Coreyjay

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.