All Topics / Help Needed! / Sinking foundations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of DraheimDraheim
    @draheim

I rent a house with a few problems – it’s foundations on the back 1/2 are sinking. Neighbour told us there was a swamp and when the house was built the foundations were insufficient. There are now cracks/gaps in brick walls up to 25mm and superficial cracks in cement rendering throughout the house. Seems the whole concrete slab is sinking – the house seems very solid and I have no concerns – what I am searching for is the right contacts to discuss rectifying this problem. The house was listed for sale and previous offers failed guess due to structural/building reports. This would mean a major reduction in selling price if it came to a sale – if one would only know how to arrest the movement.
    Has anyone come across a similar problem? This is nowhere as drastic as the subsiding tunnel in Lane Cove in the last days – is it possible to pump concrete underneath foundations to provide sufficient ‘base’ to then pressurise a liner/layer in-between to raise house foundations?
    thanks for reading – look forward to your replies
    cheers
    Hardy

Profile photo of PudestconPudestcon
    @pudestcon

Hardy,
    What state are you in?
    Pud

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

You may be able to stop the movement it depends on the type of soil, the existing slab, drainage etc. I’d engage the services of a structural engineer to take a look. The property may need underpinning. If you’re thinking of buying it I wouldn’t be paying much more than land value.

AJBS

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

My experience of this is pretty minimal, but…..
    I do know underpinning can be a very expensive exercise, especially if a whole slab is tilting. And if the sub soil has problems, as an ex swamp would.
    Underpinning will stop further sinking, but raising the house to where it was would be really tough – particularly with a slab construction.
    I have seen houses with brick foundations sinking that have been jacked up places after underpinning has stabilised things. This naturally requires good access under the property.
    Failing that, further sinking is prevented and then gaps etc filled. But 25mm gaps are pretty big.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of fostonfoston
    @foston

Check this website out, you will find it very interesting.

http://www.uretek.co.uk

Cheers
    Foston

Life is a series of new beginnings

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

They’ve got an agent in Northbridge, Sydney. Give him a call Draheim and let us know what he says.

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.