All Topics / Help Needed! / purchasing crown land

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of thomasb53thomasb53
    @thomasb53

hey guys,
    i have a question or two for you all, I hope you can help me!

I have a friend who own’s a farm, I was talking with him yesterday and he said how the council had asked him if he was intrested in buying the crown land that sit’s behind his land,the reason being is the only way to get to the crown land is by driving through his farm (so there is no access).
    Now my question.
    How do i buy this land then neqotiate a right of way so I can use his driveway?
    How do i find out factually that this land is actually forsale and for the price he told me?
    I talked with the city council today and they told me to bring the address in to their office and they can show me the zones, will they be able to tell me if the land is for sale and give me a price?

thanks for your help guys, love all your replies and opinion’s.

cheers
    thomasb53

Profile photo of LeilaLeila
    @leila

Hi Thomasb53,
    It seems odd that a Council would be selling Crown land – perhaps there’s some mix-up in the terminology here? Might be some differences between the States?

At any rate, the only party with current legal access to the land is the adjoining owner (owner of the farm) and therefore is the party given the first offer (possibly the only offer)to buy the land.

If you are able to make an offer to buy the land, simply make the contract conditional on your ability to have a carriageway easement registered in favour of the ‘Crown’ land over the adjoining title (i.e. the farm driveway). Obviously you’d negotiate the terms and the $ with the farm owner.

However, be careful how you describe this to the Council as the Council themselves could decide to pursue the option of securing a carriageway and then choose to sell the land on the open market for a greater return.

You’ve done the right thing approaching the Council to find out if it’s for sale and if you’re at all dubious about the asking price, it would be advisable to obtain a land valuation yourself.

Good luck

Leila

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.