All Topics / Help Needed! / Anyone else come across laminate walls….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

My sister in Perth has bought a house which has laminate walls. The previous owners installed it to make it easier to clean and because it is basically maintenance free. I have never heard of laminate being used on walls. Has anyone else come across this? From what I understand it is not wood panelling that was huge a couple of decades ago.
    thank you muchly
    tan

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Are you talking about inside or outside?

I’ve heard of vinyl laminate on teh outside that’s basically supposed to outlive most other house coverings such weatherboard etc and oftem people put it over fibro houses to improve the look. Do a search under cladding or vinyl caldding or something like that as there was a thread about this a while ago and I think it contained a website address where you could see before and after photo’s.

If on the inside, then I’m assuming you’re talking about tileboard or aqua tile. There’s a separate thread about this, but I think you’re talking about the outside so won’t elaborate here.

PK

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

No it is not cladding. It is on the inside and it definately not tileboard. I know that because we have it and my sister has seen that and says it is not the same. The walls are smooth and from what she says it is the same as the stuff you put on kitchen benchs. I have never heard of doing it before and was just curious if anyone else had heard of it.

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

sounds like a VERY expensive way to clad walls!

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

The mystery has been solved. They are what used to be called lamipanel by the laminex group. Now they are called wet area panelling. Must have cost the previous owners a fortune to do a four bedroom, 2 bathroom, double story house! It is primarily used as a decorative item.

Profile photo of DraheimDraheim
    @draheim

Hi – I have come across a few houses with particleboard panels on the inside walls and ceiling. Having worked in the particlebaord industry for 20+ years this is how it works: All production facilities have at times problems producing 2nds, these 2nds may show a small imperfection one one side only. Those boards can be purchased by employees at a discount (at least it used to be in the good old days) and lining a house on those conditions worked out cheaper than gyprock. Plus you dont need to cover joining strips, there is no painting, easier to clean, the only drawback is repairs are not quite as easy if you damage a panel, while an 8’x4′ can be easily taken off and replaced, matching the colour would be near to impossible after a couple of years exposure to the light.
    Hope that helps understand some of the background?
    If I can help further let me know…re technical differences etc.
    cheers
    Hardy

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

weird!!! is it internal or external. Is it hardiglaze? Seratone? Would be a very expensive was to clad walls.

Cheers

[email protected]
    Property Spotters living in NZ
    Renovation & Project Management
    Email now to receive info on the lastest deals!

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.