All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Tax return in Australia whilst overseas

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of RevJohnRevJohn
    @revjohn

Hello, I am a UK citizen, living and working in the UK. I havent worked in Australia since 1999 (I have a permanent residency visa in my UK passport) However in April 2004 I spent a month in WA and bought a property, which I rent out, making a small net loss. I had assumed that I would just declare this property on my UK tax return, but a friend has told me that I should also declare it to the Australian Tax office (I have no other Australian income or earnings). Can anybody offer any advise about this. Many thanks, Simon

Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

Hi Syoung33,

I don’t think you are classed as a resident if you are not in Australia for more than six months. Non residents do not have to file tax returns. Anyway you are operating this property at a loss so you can’t pay tax on a loss.

But check out the ATO website
    http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/12503.htm

Previously declaring the property might have been to your advantage as some services (i.e. real estate agents) used to be GST free for non-residents. Alas the govt closed this loophole

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.