All Topics / Value Adding / subdividing 2 existing houses on one title

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of mccozmccoz
    Participant
    @mccoz

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me on the following:[biggrin]

I have found an opportunity to purchase 2 houses on one title, both in reasonable condition, and in theory, would sell at much higher prices individually if split onto separate titles. Does anyone know the process of doing this, what would be involved, given no building is required for the house, is it a relatively straightforward process?

mccoz

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

I just strata titled a dual occ that i did 3 years ago, we built a new home behind a old one, 2 houses. I would try and get plans of the block with the houses on it if possible and take them to a local surveyor, if not get the surveyor to go and have a look with you. They know all about what council will want regarding access, open spaces, services and can tell you what costs will be and if you can torrens or strata title. We paid about $3,400 for Council fees and surveyor and $1,950 to register with the Lands title office. It took about 3 months to all happen.
    1. DA has to be lodged with council.
    2. Surveyor has to do a Linen plan.
    3. Linen plan goes back to council to sign off on.
    4. Plans go to bank to approve and to get them to send certificate of title to Lands title office.
    5. Plans go to Lands title office.
    This is in NSW
    Robo

Profile photo of mccozmccoz
    Participant
    @mccoz

Thanks for the tips Robo,

Great to hear you did it in a relatively short time. I will definitely pursue this further, but am a little bemused as to why it hasn’t already been done. perhaps someone has already tried, but unsuccessfully,

Thks again,

mccoz

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

I would go and talk with the local Council first they are usually very helpfull. Land sizes are getting smaller so you may be able to subdivide now but that would depend on how close each house is. Beware though the Council will use the opportunity to get you to upgrade the driveways and footpaths, and then there are all the fees they charge. If you can get through all this you should do well by being creative and looking for ways to add value.
    Good luck

AJBS

Profile photo of Cabo WaboCabo Wabo
    Participant
    @cabo-wabo

Has anyone done this with say a 4 unit complex? Is there much of a $$ commodity of scale in doing this with with a 4 unit setup as opposed to a 2?

Cabo Wabo

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

Hi McCoz,

Whether or not the subdivision would go through easily depends on a number of factors, such as any overlays affecting the site, zoning, easements, size of the property and the character of the area. If you require any preliminary planning advice, my firm provides town planning services as well as finance, and I would be happy to be of assistance.

Kind Regards,

Cameron Perry
    Finance Consultant
    F.R. Perry & Associates
    Level 13, 30 Collins St
    Melbourne VIC 3000
    Ph (03) 9662 1999
    Fax (03) 9662 2044

Profile photo of CanucksinOzCanucksinOz
    Participant
    @canucksinoz

We’re in a similar-ish situation. We have a duplex…identical top and bottom units, on the same title. The land is very small just under 500sqm. Spoke briefly with the council, and the place is only zoned for single dwelling. (2a1) We have a tenant, separate water/gas/electricity…
    Just don’t think it is a legal duplex. Is it possible to split the title in this case?

Profile photo of GUNALGUNAL
    @gunal

Hi,

I have done a sub division. It involves the following.

Application to the council.
    Getting approval
    Approval could be conditional which may require the following

Installing different sewage and rainage etc.

preparing a drawing by a surveyors.
    Registering the plans with the Land titles office.

If are not sure employ a land developer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.