All Topics / Help Needed! / Owning a caravan park

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Samantha McGlynnSamantha McGlynn
    @samantha-mcglynn

Hi,
    Just seeking some information about the management of a caravan park. I came across a deal that has interested me quite well, but the current manager is the owner.

Where do I look for managers for caravan sites? I have asked at the local real estates, and the current owners to no avail?

Does anyone else have any idea???

Profile photo of camdercamder
    Participant
    @camder

Hi Sam,
    Try a caravan association etc.
    I know they ,or similar, can hook you up with parks if you are the one wanting to look after parks for owners when they go on hols etc. They may also be able to hook you up with people who want to manage more permanently. ‘
    Cheers Len

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

I’ve managed 3 van parks, now a motel owner, so I might be able to help. The management positions used to be advertised in the situations vacant column of Sydney Morning Herald, especially Wed & Sat, as well as under ‘Managers’ and under ‘Caravan Park Managers’. Some used one big ad and made the other ads little pointer ads to catch the eye of those who looked in the other places.
    Also contact the CCIA – Caravan & Camping Industry Asscn located at Rosehill Racecourse in Sydney, they used to keep a list of managers seeking employment.
    Some of the Van Park Brokers selling Van Parks also keep lists of managers.
    Please be careful as van parks are not smooth sailing.
    Can you describe the deal ?
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Samantha McGlynnSamantha McGlynn
    @samantha-mcglynn

Thank you very much,

2 i am interested in. 1 is an acreage with new outbuildings designed into single & double self contained dwellings, including managers dwelling, and disabled. has parking, bbqs and trail walks, more of a getaway. I have had a discussion about the financials which are very positive, but haven’t viewed the actual financials yet. this one is owner managed.

Purchase $495,000
    Haven’t been given occupancy figures but based on 30% appears still very positive. This one is relatively new in the area.

the other is a caravan park with 8 brick cabins, 4 executive cabins, 10 x powered sites and bbq & toilet areas & managers residence. The net turnover for this is around $60,000 (not including management fees).

As i said i’m still waiting for the better financials to come ahead and appreciate any and all feedback.

sam

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Take some time to formulate a comparison spreadsheet on van parks, ROI, watch land tax ( Van parks are land gobblers).
    Van parks have variations – some have permanent residents who own their own mobiles & pay rent for the land under them. Some are just holiday units like motels and van sites & camp kitchens. Some have owner holiday-occupied mobiles. The quality of the accommodation will decide the type of guests you will have to deal with.
    Note which part of the market each van park addresses – permanent residents (dramas), travellers in vans, tourists in cars, boaties, water skiers, greenies, surfers, wine lovers, in other words, what’s the guest mix or focus in that particular geographical area. ABS can provide visitation numbers by market segment in most areas e.g. grey nomads, pampadours etc. Different groups have different requirements like some are big on camp kitchens, some not, amenities blocks are not always a pleasure to clean daily. Repairs & maintenance is a big issue and one of the owners should be pretty handy in this area.
    Large acreage van parks require many hours on the whipper snipper & ride-on mower. A shop or kiosk is a pain, sometimes a necessity, takes many hours. Are sites wired for TV, phone, water & elec ? The list goes on.
    Best van parks I’ve seen return enough income to support 2 couples as partners, and have 2 homes on them, although you can always add another one yourself. 2 men is always better security, and easier with some R & M jobs. But the big plus is that in quiet times, one couple can easily run the place while the other goes on hols, BIG plus.
    Plenty of cash income. Research very very carefully, slowly, until you understand which types of van parks make the most income for the least amount of drama.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.