All Topics / Help Needed! / To furnish or not to furnish

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of AphexAphex
    Participant
    @aphex

Hi all,

I have nearly completed my first renovation (how exciting [biggrin]). It is a spacious federation style house which has been re-roofed, rendered and extended out the back. It’s not very far from Newcastle CBD and in a suburban area. The house would apeal to the top end of the market in the area.

I have been considering furnishing the house before selling it to improve the prospects for sale. I thought that furniture might help detract from any minor flaws in the house and help people conceptualise how nice the house can look with a well matched decor.

Are there places you can rent nice furniture from as I don’t think people would want to buy furniture to go with their purchase?

Do you think this could help improve the potential gain or is this just going too far?

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi,

Can’t say I have ever furnished a house to sell it.

Seems to work well on TV. [biggrin]

Seriously though perhaps the advantage is in creating an emotional attachment to the spaces in the home rather than it looking like a box.

In that area of Newcastle the market is going to demand a very high quality finish (the old steel town has certainly come a long way) so there would be no point doing it in half measures. I would probably go all out and hire the best or just leave it empty.

If the home has odd shaped spaces there is probably some merit in arranging the home to show how the space can be used. No new ideas here so maybe someone who has actually done it recently and has the price of hire etc can add to the thread. I have something similar coming up but the cost over here probably wont translate.

I was at an open house yesterday (lurking and listening) and several of the people through commented out of earshot of the agent that it was a pitty the home was a 2 brm. The agent did not get a chance to correct them.

The substantial third bedroom was set up as a study ( seems they used it this way). So there might be something in the idea that buyer have to actually see it to believe it.

Good Luck

[email protected]
    NZ Investors & Property Spotters
    Renovations & Project Management

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of AphexAphex
    Participant
    @aphex

Yeah, it does seem to work well on TV, thats what made me think about it. Thanks for your encouragement. I think I’ll see if Freedom or Domayne might lease out old floor stock for a short period.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.