All Topics / Finance / How to structure investment loans

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of vinnyvinny
    @vinny

I would love to hear from experienced investors on how to structure investment loans and particularly negative geared ones?

Regards
    Vinny[blink]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Vinny,

There is no exact template to give you.

A lot will depend on your goals and your situation.

Some general things to consider are:

Ownership structure

Interest Only vs PI

Use of Offset rather than redraw

Etc etc

You should probably sit down with an accountant and a broker for some ideas.

All the best

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of vinnyvinny
    @vinny

Thank you very much for the information but most accountants/brokers are looking to make money and do not do the right thing for the customer. I recently saw a broker in Melbourne who advised me to hold off all payments for the investment properties and pay off my home loan first. The negative geared loans will accumulate the interest for a year which then is not tax deductible.

I thought the ATO had made this illegal.

Your thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Vinny[blink]

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Vinny, there are unprofessional people in every field. This mortgage broker obviously has no idea. It’s up to the industry to lift the bar. There are some good brokers on this site so if you are ever going to speak with a broker I would call one from this site. Terry, Simon (Mortgage Hunter) and Steven (Mobile Mortgage) are long time contributors and excellent, knowledgeable brokers.

Anyway, here is a series of 3 articles about loan structuring that I wrote for AIP.

http://www.prosolution.com.au/articles/structure.pdf
    http://www.prosolution.com.au/articles/structure2.pdf
    http://www.prosolution.com.au/articles/structure3.pdf

I hope helps.

Cheers

Stu

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

That is a shocking story Vinnie. There are many brokers who jumped into this industry during the boom who don’t really understand it well. I hope the quieter times will see then move on to the next money making idea.

Thank you for the kind words Stuart.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi vinny
    before I start I will tell you don’t email me.

yes there are unfortunately bad brokers but in my case I was with one of my investors that is a developer in her own right and she was in a hole toi the turn of negative $480,000.00 on one of her sites with no lender going to lend and after 6 hrs of using my calculator and laptop and organising different funding strategys
    I structured it in away that she should build is financing thru nab and they are not the easiest lender in the world as a few brokers here will tell you.and she will be holding a unit as profit and will come out with $250,00 on top in profit.
    and I don’t charge her but she buys into my system so I help out were I can.
    This may seem like I am doing something extra this is not the case as I think most brokers on this forum including the ones that have already been mentioned, if they new all the facts as I ended up knowing should have been able to do this deal.
    so you shouldn’t paint all brokers with the same brush and try another one.
    agian I don’t broker out side my own client base and I am not the type of broker that you will be requiring.

here to help

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Vinny

One question you should always ask any broker is what did he do for a living last year and the year before that.

If as Simon mentions he was a recent jumper on the Finance wagon because his double glazing career (oh takes me back to the late night UK telemarketing calls we used to receive) did not work i would give him a big miss.

Like in any industry certain people are motivated by one thing and thats profit – not to you but to them.

Get a second opinion.

Cheers Richard

[email protected]
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com

Email us to be added to our foreclosure / REO / HUD list of US properties

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

Vinny

I agree with Richard & Simon and always tell people to get a couple of opinions / options before structuring any loan facility. There are good and bad brokers out there – and the long timers here I feel definately know what they are talking about! Some and certainly not all brokers are only in it to get you settled as quickly as possible, make their money then move on to the next deal.

Good Luck!

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 3% PER MONTH on your money. Ask me how!

Profile photo of Shelley D.Shelley D.
    @shelley-d.

Since there are so many Brokers online, can i ask a question? When you set up a loan, do you generally charge the financier the fees, the customer or both? Recently, my broker charged us $550.00 to set up a loan that I ended up doing myself direct with my existing lender, but the bank also paid her. Is this usual?

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

That is quite unusual these days – I don’t know any brokers charging like that.

Some do charge a $200 fee that is refunded on settlement to make up for all the work wasted when clients don’t go ahead but most, like myself and others here, charge nothing.

I suggest that you don’t use that broker again unless you feel their service warranted the extra fee.

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi Shelley, it seems your broker was double dipping,
    As Simon mentioned the majority of us MBs do not charge clients a fee for our services as we are remunerated by the lending institutions after settlement of the loan, cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    Ph: 0402 483 216
    [email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Vinny,
    As Simon mentioned, your goals and situation should dictate your structuring. Also bear in mind, your long term goals and plans probably have an equal, if not more important factor in the decision/s you make in the equation. The excellent brokers on this site such as Steven, Simon, et al would have your future direction in mind when structuring.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.