All Topics / Help Needed! / Splitting the profit? – Help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of JJandJoJJandJo
    @jjandjo

Can someone please advise what an equitable split of the capital gain would be in the following example?

Property purchased 10 years ago for $100,000.
    Partner A and Partner B put in $20,000 each.
    After 10 years, the property is sold for $300,000.
    Partner A takes out the initial mortgage and lives in the house for 3 years. Subsequently the house is rented and Partner A uses the rent to repay the mortgage.Partner A also covers all other costs associated with the property such as rates and insurance. the property is negatively geared.

At the time of the sale, the costs incurred by the partners over 10 years, net of rent are:-

Partner A
    Capital = $20,000
    Net additional costs including loan repayments less rent = $70,000

Total Partner A $90,000

Partner B
    Capital $20,000

Can someone suggest an equitable way of splitting the net capital gain between the 2 partners?

We would really appreciate any ideas!

Cheers

JJ&Jo

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Do both partners agree that the split should be calculated on both initial investment and the additional money A spent?

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of JJandJoJJandJo
    @jjandjo

Simon
    The only agreement was that they would share in any capital gain if one was realised.

JJ&Jo

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

It seems to me that there is a $40K return of equity plus a $260K return of profit.

If the agreement was to share it equally then it seems that $150K each is the way to go.

Yet you have paid in another $70K. Some of the time you lived there so enjoyed rent free accom.

Perhaps if you calculate what it would have been had you also received rent in that period you lived there you might have a more equitable idea of a split.

I think the issue here is agreement and possibly communication. Does the other party expect $150K or is he willing to take a lesser share to recognise your additional input?

Remember there are two perceptions to every conflict. Try and see the other point of view as well – remember you did get to live there for a few years. Who claimed tax deductions? Did either party get to use the security to borrow against for other properties? etc etc

This certainly illustrates the importance of having a detailed agreement in place before one starts a joint venture.

Perhaps you both need to agree to accept a third parties opinion of what is equitable? Mediation?

Be very careful that any disagreement doesn’t cost you a friendship as well as years of prtracted fighting in or out of the courts. As well as any negativity that you end up having in your life as a result of ill will.

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@jjandjo

Simon
    Thanks for the advice. It is family, so we just jumped in with no idea of any issues down the track. A written agreement up front is the only way to go.

Cheers

JJ&Jo

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi JJ&Jo
    having read the posts you will already know the told you so bit so i won’t down that path to far except to say that all these types of jv partnerships must be drawn up by a solicitor I in the middle of one this week and the company that does mine michael talks to me about it and his partner in the firm talks to mario so we both now the exact position of each person and things like you question don’t happen.
    Having said that mu idea would be to value the rental period that the person lived in the house.work out all cost to each party remove that from the profit and then split the profit by 50%.
    now comes the hard part also having read your post I would emagine that there was no trust or company structure in place because if there was or is then talk to your accountant because depending on your respective tax brackets you may wish to change that split for tax reasons.
    now for my ideas
    whoever is in the highest tax Bracket gets the majority of the losses and the person who is in the lowest gets the profit you get to as close as 50/50 as possible file any huge profit loss off to learning and ask the person to go into another deal but this time make sure you setit up right at the start.
    you have the most to lose ( why the person who puts out the most money has the most to lose)
    try not to make enemys you will find heaps along the road of investing no need to add to them, if you run out I can send you some of mine.

one for outside the square
    draw the equity out of the property to the tune of the rental split that and go off investing on your separate ways, stay friends and keep the property.
    I’d go for the above.

here to help

@jjandjo

Thanks very much for the advice. How would we factor in the rent free period? I can value it easily, but I’m not sure how to include it in the calculations.
    Thanks

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

JJ &Jo,

Congrats on a great profit.

The are tax issues that should be considered too.

Who claimed the tax deductions?

What is the CG?

Recommend you both see an accountant.

hrm

@jjandjo

Partner A claimed the tax benefits. But I think because it was occupied for part for some of the time it is not subject to CGT. But we will check.
    thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.