All Topics / General Property / MELBOURNEites – Please help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of dave_piousdave_pious
    @dave_pious

I’d really appreciate views about Melbourne properties (Australia’s Melbourne, not Florida).

I’ve heard mixed reviews about MERNDA. Some companieas are flouting their new developments (Woodland Waters), while gurus like Bernard Salt are cautioning people to stay away from suburbs, Melbourne, as well as Mernda & LaTrboe (& not necessarily in that order) !!

Help !!

Profile photo of dsmithdsmith
    @dsmith

Dave,

Check out the following suburb report on Mernda:

http://www.reports.rpdata.com.au/cgi-bin/vgmsg/RP_Reports/subprofile/rprepgenprofile-pdf.p?type=1&fromhome=1&rep=1&instate=Victoria&insuburb=Mernda&inpcode=

The main points I would consider are population of Mernda (only 844) and % of renters which is 13%. Doesn’t leave much scopre for demand…

All the best
    Danny

Profile photo of Graham.BGraham.B
    @graham.b

Dave,

This is from another forum. Hope it helps.

Regards

Graham

In 2005 the recorded population of Mernda was a little over 2000; during which the median house price is 310K, 240K for a unit respectively. As for the type of properties, most are old miner cottages (some more stately larger ranch-style homes) on large parcels of land, which investors are fast snapping up in view of subdividing/redeveloping for maximum profit (as one would expect).

Mernda (as with the entire 17 suburbs within its domain) will be receiving an generous injection of funds thanks to government initiatives to the tune $10 million dollars staggered over the next decade!!!

Mernda is part of Whittlesea, which is one of the fastest growing northern corridors of Melbourne. Here is a bit more on this shire:
    http://www.whittlesea.vic.gov.au/co…nt.asp?cnid=949

Perhaps one of the greatest downside to Whittlesea (of which I am still inclined to refer as a “shire” as it was when I first bought land here) is that its boasts some of the most expensive council rates in Melbourne….hell you only have to look the council offices (aptly nicknamed the Taj Mahal) to see where the residents’ hard earned rates dollars are going!!!

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by dave_pious:

I’d really appreciate views about Melbourne properties (Australia’s Melbourne, not Florida).

Help !!

I could give you some views on Melbourne if I knew what you were looking for. What are you after eg capital growth, cash flow, renovation etc.

How much do you have to spend and what is your borrowing capacity?

All this will make a difference to the sorts of properties you should consider.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of quigglesquiggles
    @quiggles

…and Michael’s views would be worthwhile, but they would be just that – views.

What does YOUR research and due diligence show? Where are you looking for info, and what trust do you put in your sources? As Michael’s response indicates, an answer to your question will only be valuable and as meaningful if it relates to your goals.

Do you have your goals and strategies written down yet? If you do that first, you may find yourself asking more specific questions that are more meaningful.

And don’t forget, advice from a forum is always caveat emptor, as the first two responses should have clearly demonstrated.

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Hi Everyone,
    I KNOW this is all a looong time ago! I searched Whittlesea and came up with these responses on Mernda.
    Gee how living in the area makes a difference.
    However, I am looking at a subdivision in the area. Yes, Whittlesea council has the highest rates but they dont seem all that much higher than surrounding councils- try Nillumbik for example. Yes, council offices- “The Taj”. But I would rather this than have a council who is broke. However, this council reaps the rewards of the copious development in the area. But lets not forget it is also the council who suffered in the Black Saturday Bush fires- such is the diversity of the council- or “shire” fringes.
    Enough of the history lesson!
    Does anyone know of a planner or draftsperson – well priced to draw up plans for this sub division? I am open to talking to locals in the area who know the council and how it works. They seem to be liberal in their approach – if there is soil, lets divide it!
    All feedback would be welcome.
    Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.