All Topics / Help Needed! / Spec builder needs advice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Hi Everyone,

I’m a registered builder and have built a couple of Spec homes in the past preferring not to advertise them until they were completed.
    I have someone wanting to buy my next house off the plan. Am I better off selling him the block at market value then building the house for him? More like a traditional builder/ client relationship.
    Or would it be better to keep it all in my name until finished? If I take this option can I still claim progress payments in the normal way.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Profile photo of jparsonsjparsons
    @jparsons

Pete,

Good idea to let everyone know where abouts you are, could make a difference to opinions. Just helping out…..

Jarrod.

http://www.jenterprisegroup.com.au
    data-security-communications-entertainment systems<- home networking and home theatres- talk to me first!!
    *Technology Consultants*
    Brisbane.Gold coast.Sunshine coast

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Thanks Jarrod,

I’m in Hobart

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by Pete&Jackie:

Hi Everyone,

I’m a registered builder and have built a couple of Spec homes in the past preferring not to advertise them until they were completed.
    I have someone wanting to buy my next house off the plan. Am I better off selling him the block at market value then building the house for him? More like a traditional builder/ client relationship.
    Or would it be better to keep it all in my name until finished? If I take this option can I still claim progress payments in the normal way.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

If your profit margin is the same, it would seem to be beter to sell him the land and enter into a normal building contract. This will be much better for your cashflow.

Having the money for the land in your pocket now rather than when you finish building may allow you to buy another block of land and repeat the process

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of PeteJackiePeteJackie
    Participant
    @petejackie

Thanks Michael,

Very good advise,

Pete

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

and then when that deal is organised you will be in a position to start on another spec home, as the first one wil have nil cash requirement. of course it will be hard to collect the same profit from a house and land conpared to a spec home. with the house and land the buyers bank will need to agree to (a) the current market value of the land and (b) your building contract. The 2 added together are unlikley to be the same amount as your spec home less holding costs.

http://www.megapropertygroup.com

INVESTMENT SALES * RENTAL SOLUTIONS * STRATA MANAGEMENT

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

Hi Pete&Jackie
    interesting post.
    The one main item here is price if the price is the either way then your customer is a lot better off.
    1st
    land 150,000
    s/duty 8,100
    build cost 200,000
    total 358,100
    2nd
    house sale
    s/duty 19,337
    Gst would nearly be the same using the margin scheme.
    but your client saves 11,237 in tax.
    So I would go for option 1 and explain the above So you can pad your fixed price contract with a little of the 11k up to you.
    As for the question on the progress payments thats a little more involved and you need to structure it knowing which bank lender is lending use of number one and you don’t have to worry.

here to help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.