All Topics / Value Adding / Perth – Clearing of land questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of vernonvernon
    @vernon

Hi,

Was considering buying an old existing property on a larger plot of land and clearing the land after all the necessary rezoning approval etc.

Just wondering how much does it cost to demolish a house and clear a piece of land in Perth? Also, do I need any permits etc if I am to demolish the old house and build a new one in it’s place?

What are the other aspects I should look out for?

Thanks! [biggrin]

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

as a rule of thumb allow $10k. when they do it go down there and watch them – i have now been ripped off twice now, once when they buried all the rubble on site and i had to pay to get rid of it again, secondly when they left a bore housing which shouldnt have happened if they raked it to the required depth. oh and once they claimed to cap the sewer and the plumber issued a certificat saying he had done it and it hadnt been doen so I got charged by the builder again. someone lied and could of lost their plumbing licence but I had no proof. once the builder is on site doing works it is too late to worry about who did or said what… you just need a clean site asap.

you definitely need a demolition permit and most shires require you to bait the house several weeks prior to demolition.

sometimes they wont issue a demolition licence until a building licence has issued. I had a nightmare experience in Vic Park where this was the case. I couldnt get any liability insurance and squatters moved in and were lighting fires etc. the council wouldn’t allow demoliton yet insisted I had to make the property safe and secure – I did my best to board it up but we are dealing with the dregs of society here… needles and who knows what else lying around. the neighbours were all up in arms and forever getting me out there to complain about the eye sore but what could I do? I was SO happy when I finally saw a bulldozer sitting on top of the house! those initial problems should have sent a signal to me… what a nigtmare development that was!

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

John Carroll

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

The chap across the road from us has just gone through this process. I had a quiet chat with him one Sunday morning and gleaned the following ;

1. Cost to demolish and remove rubble from a 4×2 brick and tile 50 yr old house was $ 12K.
    2. It took 2 days to go from house to bare block raked clean.
    3. The bobcat got in there and dug a big hole for a future pool…which sent the price up a bit.
    4. From sitting down with the wife and initially chatting about it to having it demolished has been 12 months.
    5. He’s renting a place for 18 months around the corner, so the new house isn’t going up in a hurry.
    6. Four months ago he came around to us and all the other neighbours and let us all know what was going on and what we could expect (trucks / noise / dust etc etc…They were very mature about it and have had no problems from any neighbours.
    7. The day after the trucks took away the last of the rubble off the block, he was out there sweeping the verge and road where the trucks had been so other people in the street weren’t getting nails, bits of bricks, cement etc in their tyres. Everyone in the street appreciated that.
    8. Immediate neighbours had concerns about security with rickety 60 yr old picket fences being exposed to their props. He put green shadecloth type stuff all the way around the 3 fences and everything has been apples ever since.

That’s about all I got from the 5 minute conversation.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of vernonvernon
    @vernon

thanks for the replies John and Dazzling…what 2 contrasting experienced. John, your 2 experiences must have really been a nightmare and it is seriously making me think again…[blink]

As for Dazzling’s neighbour, I think all the neighbours are really gracious and mature…he can count himself to be a lucky guy!

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Dont forget though that Ausprop deals with this on a regular basis..

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.