All Topics / Help Needed! / dripping tap

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of landt64landt64
    Participant
    @landt64

I can’t believe it. I got a call from the agent to say that the tenant had a leaking tap and wanted a plumber called out to fix because her water bills would be high. I’m not prepared to pay $70 for a call out fee for fixing a washer and I told them to tell the tenant they can either change it themselves or live with it.
    When I was a tenant I’d never call about minor repair jobs needing to be done. What do you all think?
    Landt.

Profile photo of purpleblondiepurpleblondie
    @purpleblondie

I agree that $70 is excessive to pay for a new washer. However, as a non-handywoman, I wouldn’t have had a clue how to change a washer when i was renting. How about you offer to go over and change it yourself? That would solve the problem.

Annette

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I think it is written in our lease that replacing washers in taps is the tenant’s responsibility.

When we rented, (3 different properties) we also always were required to replace the washers ourselves.

Celivia

Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Landt 64,

I know exactly how you feel.. The cost to change the washer is expensive, but in these days of water restrictions and conservation I think the tennant would have good grounds to have them fixed.

Use a hanyman as they are cheaper and try to have it done with other repairs.

PS make sure your repairer uses the best quality washers available.

hrm

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling
    Originally posted by landt64:

I can’t believe it.

With residential tenants – I certainly can. We put up with it for years…but no more.

Take comfort from the fact that there is a permanent solution to this simple example you highlight – along with the myriad of other small but expensive and inconvenient whinging from residential tenants.

Your choice.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of BeanieBeanie
    Participant
    @beanie

Myself i would get a plumber out and get him to change all of you tap washers at the same time that way for $70.00 you would not only have a happy tennant but you wont have any leaking tap worries for quite some time.
    Regards Beanie

Live every day like its your last.
    Learn how to create enough passive income to retire using shares,property and the internet.
    http://www.renovateyourfuture.com

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

$70 sounds quite reasonable to me.Don’t forget that the plumber needs to get to your place as well as doing the job.Someone needs to pay for this time,so I think that is ok.But as was suggested,get the local handyman to change the washers if you can’ t do it yourself.

Tools

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

NO. I would not call a plummer for changing a washer . If you jump for that then what will it be next ? Lightbulbs ?

I reckon , as you say , fix it themselves or live with it.

Don’t become a yes person for tenants too quickly , unless there are special reasons.

Once I had a case where tenants were getting electric shocks off the Taps! It turned out to be a faulty earth which was easily fixed. Imagine the consequences of that.

Shawn

Profile photo of Endless SummerEndless Summer
    @endless-summer

I seam to recall some legislation talk a few years ago stating that only plumbers could change the washers on taps. (Or was it that they were trying to introduce this legislation??)

The point being that if the place was flooded by taps that had washers installed incorrectly then the insurance company would not cover for the damage.

Perhaps you might contact the insurance company and ask the question. Maybe the tenant is trying to protect themselves from this.

Although I do agree that changing the washers is easy.

Profile photo of elyseanelysean
    @elysean

Get the washer fixed by the handyman or the plumber and start saving water, the expense to you is tax deductable!

Property Acquisitions for developers and investor from; Kevin

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

Some tenants cope with small problems and some don’t. I have found it worthwhile to get in before they become complaints if I can.

I usually do a wholesale change to washers between tenants. That way I rarely get the leaking tap complaints. If tenants are there longer than 12-18 months, then when we may get a call re leaking taps or the PM lets me know after the quarterly inspection that it needs looking into. A handyman for half a day to fix all the recurring stuff once a year or so I find a good investment to keeping tenants happy and therefore paying more for rent.

The main call out problem I had with a couple of properties was that the water heaters were on the western side of the flats and the pilot light would blow out whenever there was a decent wind. We are slowly fixing that by replacing the heaters when the complaints get too bad. 2 down and 2 to go. Haven’t had a complaint for the last 4 months.

Profile photo of landt64landt64
    Participant
    @landt64

Thanks for your replies everyone. This is a recently purchased property and we just feel like there’s been nothing but problems since we bought it. Mind you we felt the same when our tenant moved into our other property. She was on the phone to the manager every day at first, but he assured us she would settle down and be a good tenant, and he was right, so I’ll bide my time. I have been thinking of getting a handyman down there to just fix up whatever needs to be done in one fell swoop. I have a friend recovering from surgery who doesn’t charge like a wounded bull and should be able to hobble around and fix things up.
    Landt.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.