All Topics / Finance / Brokers Fees and Rebating

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

From SMH i Believe

Mortgage brokers are using what they can to entice borrowers through the door, reports Michelle Innis.

A handful of brokers is rattling the billion-dollar property lending business by cutting the commission they get from banks and passing those savings on to borrowers.

The practice is not widespread, but at least three firms – Peach Home Loans, Refund Home Loans and wealth management firm Centrestone – are offering clients a rebate.

Peach offers $1000 on a $250,000 loan. Others use a sliding scale depending on the size of the loan and sometimes the discount they can get from the lender on the home loan interest rate.

“We can afford to do it because we don’t spend a lot on advertising, we don’t have a head office and we don’t pay high rents,” says Peach Home Loans’ chief executive, Nicholas Gruen. He says most of the firm’s mortgage brokers work from home offices.

“It’s like shopping at a discount store for a fridge as opposed to going to a department store in the central business district,” he says.

Centrestone has a slightly different approach. It is a wealth-management firm and, as such, lending is a small part of the income it might get from any one client.

Buying a home is one of the biggest decisions investors make, but it is not the only decision that can generate income for an adviser.

Whatever the business model, a broker rebating commission means borrowers walk away with less debt or more money in their pocket – and sometimes both.

And in Australia’s booming and highly competitive home lending market, it’s another tool to encourage borrowers in through the door.

Borrowers must ensure that when they select a broker they choose one with their interests at heart. A broker who “churns” borrowers through loans will too frequently end up costing the borrower money.

Home lending in Australia was $11.6 billion in May, down about $400 million from the previous month, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

The property market has come off the boil, but that’s still a lot of loans, many sourced by mortgage brokers. As the home loan market has boomed, new lending products have proliferated and mortgage brokers have sprung up in every suburb.

Brokers mostly work independently of banks. Generally, they work with a wide panel of lenders to find the best mortgage. Sometimes, that means getting the lowest interest rate. But at other times, it can mean getting a loan with many features.

The bank pays the broker an upfront commission for introducing the borrower. This fee varies from bank to bank. The bank will also pay the broker a trailing commission for the life of the loan.

A broker who rebates commission usually gives part of the upfront fee to the borrower.

Gruen says Peach rebates from “both the upfront and the trailing commission”. He says not all the banks are happy about it. In fact, Peach does not offer loans from St George or ANZ.

“A few of the banks might have come under pressure from larger broking houses which are not happy about commissions being rebated,” Gruen says. “We don’t deal with all the major banks. But we do what we do to be competitive.”

Kieran Canavan, the head of the lending division at Centrestone, says his firm deals with all the major lenders. However, the average size of a Centrestone client’s loan is $800,000. You can assume that when you owe the bank that much money, the bank will provide a high level of service.

“We don’t rebate commission,” Canavan says. “But if we can get a better [interest] rate from a lender, then we reduce our commission. If we can’t get a better rate, then we don’t cut our commission.”

Canavan says on smaller loans, banks may be reluctant to deal with brokers who rebate because there may be a greater incentive for that broker to “churn” loans.

If a broker forgoes an upfront payment, he or she might look to move the client from bank to bank every 18 months to two years to increase the income from that client. But churning a client through loans is not productive for the bank or the borrower.

“We don’t move clients if the service is up to standard,” Canavan says. But part of Centrestone’s bargaining power with the banks is its wealthy client base. Banks and the wealth-management firm will take a holistic approach to a client with a lot of potential to generate income.

Phil Naylor, the chief executive of the Mortgage Industry Association of Australia, says he does not have a view on whether brokers should rebate commissions. “There are not very many who do it,” he says. “It’s just a way for different businesses to compete.

Industry researcher Denis Orrock, from InfoChoice, says: “It is a sales tool. Brokers who run with very low overheads can afford to do it.”

A spokesman for the Commonwealth Bank says whether brokers rebate or not is “an issue for the broker and their client, not the bank”.

And a spokeswoman for ANZ says the bank takes into account a range of factors before deciding whether a broker should be accredited, including regulatory compliance, customer service and staff training.

She says ANZ does deal with some brokers who rebate commissions.

Peach’s Gruen says borrowers should ensure they get the best deal by realising brokers are salesmen and women first and mortgage market experts second.

“A broker is not just trained in products,” Gruen says. “He or she is trained to sell.

“To get the best deal, see a couple of brokers and select one you think is honest.

“Hopefully, the consumer has done a bit of homework before they get to us. Just like when you buy a fridge. You know what you want. You want to get the best deal.”

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Good article redwing

I am aware of several major lenders who will not accept loans from these brokers.

Personally i am quiet happy to offer a client a refund of commission in certain circumstances as i look at it as a way of advertising.

Referral business is an excellent source of business for any broker and i am lucky enough to receive a lot of referals from clients.

All in all i think it is a personal issue for each broker to think about as he/she knws there business better than anyone else.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com

IP funding and US property finance
    our speciality

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

I have no problems with kickbacks to clients. It’s better than putting an ad in the paper – better to have the money in the clients pocket than James Packer or Rupert Murdochs pockets…

I would like to see commissions to any other parties banned. As soon as your broker pays your real estate a commission you need to wonder; are they looking after their client; or helping the agent secure a sale.

Brokers need to have their clients best interest at heart. A financial interest to referrer represents a conflict of interest ( kick back to the client does not).

When you talk about aggregators disliking refund style brokers; I bet you half their brokers are splitting commissions with accountants and agents:- in many cases not disclosing this to the client…

Banker

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry
    Banker wrote:
    I have no problems with kickbacks to clients. It's better than putting an ad in the paper – better to have the money in the clients pocket than James Packer or Rupert Murdochs pockets… I would like to see commissions to any other parties banned. As soon as your broker pays your real estate a commission you need to wonder; are they looking after their client; or helping the agent secure a sale. Brokers need to have their clients best interest at heart. A financial interest to referrer represents a conflict of interest ( kick back to the client does not). When you talk about aggregators disliking refund style brokers; I bet you half their brokers are splitting commissions with accountants and agents:- in many cases not disclosing this to the client… Banker

Any referal payments have to be declared to the client in writing under the new credit licensing regime. 

Profile photo of Michael.LeeMichael.Lee
    Participant
    @michael.lee
    Qlds007 wrote:
    I am aware of several major lenders who will not accept loans from these brokers.

Richard,

I think you've been misled and are perpetuating a false rumour.  For the sake of setting the record straight and keeping yourself clear of the TPA, will you please add:

1. The source of your knowledge
    2. Which lenders are you referring to and;
    3. Who / which companies are 'these brokers'?

The only broker named in the thread is Peach and I would be shocked if you are making a reference to them. Please clarify.

Also, what happened to Taylored Financial Solutions? I thought the updated website looked great. Are you winding that business up?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42
    mortgagedetective wrote:
    be shocked if you are making a reference to them. Please clarify.

Also, what happened to Taylored Financial Solutions? I thought the updated website looked great. Are you winding that business up?

Check the date on Richard's post. It was from 5 years ago.

Participant
    @michael.lee

Ha! Thanks Dan – My bad. That explains Richards signature.

However it doesn't answer my question regarding:

Qlds007 wrote:

The situation in 2005 was then as it is now. The rumour was not correct, as far as I can determine, even in 2005.

The rebate brokers that I know of which were around in 2005 are still here today.

With the exception of just one brokerage, they have always had the full panel including the majors. As far as I know, the one lender that was locked in a battle with one particular broker did not cite rebates as the issue, rather training or compliance matters.

It would be nice to verify or quash the rumour one way or the other, wouldn't it? Then we can let this thread drift resolved to the bottom of the pile.

Profile photo of e-stane-stan
    @e-stan

there was a segment that was on today tonight that was looking at a financial cashback company called yourshare who rebate the fees and commissions on various financial products. Some customers are receiving rebates of up to $3000 which is incredible.
    My partner and i are highly interested especially considering the support that the industry is giving it and the amount of talk about the concept in general.
    We have had a look at the website and calculated our possible rebate which is around $1500.
    Would love to hear others thoughts
    table { }.font5 { color: windowtext; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial; }td { border: medium none ; padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: windowtext; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial; vertical-align: bottom; white-space: nowrap; }.xl24 { font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; white-space: normal; }ruby { }rt { color: windowtext; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial; display: none; }

Participant
    @michael.lee

e-stan,

There are several different models in the market. You can read various opinions here.

Profile photo of e-stane-stan
    @e-stan

Thanks Michael i appreciate it. i have done a fair bit of reading on the matter, alot to digest, and i've looked at the various sites and companies. Such an interesting concept and definitely worth a go considering just how much i will save in the long run. With all the talk about ruining relationships with brokers and advisors, with my current situation in which i have no formal contact with my financial holders, services like this would greatly benefit me.
    Would be great to hear form those who have used and are currently going through the service.
    Thanks again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.